Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Live at Hammersmith: Old vs. New

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 17:50:18 PST
Subject: Live at Hammersmith: Old vs. New

I just picked up the newly released version of _Live at Hammersmith_
to compare it to the last version released.  There are some differences
in packaging, though none in the performance.

(BTW, this means I now have an extra copy of LaH :-)  It's practically
brand new -- in fact, it's only been played once.  I'll sell it to
anybody in the US for $15, including postage.  I believe that's cheaper
than you'll find in stores.  E-mail me if you are interested.)

By "old version" I mean the one that was in stores in 1987.   I think
there was an even older version, but I don't have it.

The differences:

1.  The old version was in a plastic case.  The new version is in the
same kind of cardboard box that most prerecorded videos now come in.

2.  The old version had EMI Music Video and Thorn EMI Video logos
on the box, but an HBO label on the tape itself.  When played, the
video shows first an HBO promo then an EMI Music Video promo.  I
have no idea how HBO got involved with this -- if anyone can tell
me, please do!  (For overseas people, HBO is Home Box Office,
a cable movie TV channel.)

The new version has logos for EMI Video (which is different from the
logo for EMI Music Video) and Picture Music International.  On the tape
the label is EMI Video, and when played the video shows first an
EMI Video promo.  Once again,this is different from the old EMI Music
Video promo.  The new version says "Distibuted by EMI Records USA.
Product Management: Adam Block/EMI."  Anybody know who this guy is?
The old version said nothing similar.  At least we now know the
current name for what used to be EMI-America.  For a while it was
EMI-Manhattan.  The new version also says "Manufactured by Capitol
Records, Inc., a subsidiary of Capitol-EMI Music, Inc., Hollywood and
Vine Streets, Hollywood, California."  Again, the old version said
nothing similar.

3.  The old one is catalog number TVD 1952; the new one is ES-1632.

4.  Although both videos are in Hi-Fi Stereo, only the new version says
so.

5.  The songs are listed slightly differently on the packages.  On
the old version, the list of songs takes up seven lines, while it
takes up only five on the new version.  As I said, however, there's
no difference in the actual programming.  Both packages have the
same blurb about how great Kate is, but it took up 18 lines on the
old and 14 lines on the new version.  I wonder why they made these
changes?

That's it.

Ed Suranyi             | "I couldn't hope to do it anywhere near as well
ed@das.llnl.gov        |  as Kate Bush because she is a Goddess."
(415) 447-3405         |                 -- Sinead O'Connor