Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

CD Masters

From: Doug Alan <nessus@mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 17:07:13 EST
Subject: CD Masters
Sender: nessus@media-lab.media.mit.edu

> [Chris Williams:] American CD's of English artists are never made
> from the original master tapes due to the obvious risks of
> transporting irreplacable masters across the ocean.

I don't believe this for a moment.  This is a ridiculous argument.
You can copy a digital master a millions times and never degrade the
original.  Furthermore, any copy is just as good as the master.  Why,
if you had a CD without two many little holes in it, you could even
use it to make a new digital master that would be close to
indistinguishable from the original digital master.  I can't see any
possible good reason why a U.S.  record company should remaster from
inferior analog copies a CD that was digitally recorded, mixed, and
mastered in England.  This defeats thwe whole purpose of "digital"!

|>oug

X is for KATE's pictures, their rumours a tort