Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"Soul Cages"

From: jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 91 17:46:04 EST
Subject: "Soul Cages"

Welp, I'm listening to Sting's new album and two questions spring to mind:

a) What are northumbrian pipes?  I assume that that's what I'm hearing in
the first song, "Island of Souls."  WHY DOESN'T KATE USE THEM?  For those of
you wondering what I'm talking about, these pipes remind me...I guess of
uillean pipes, but completely different.

b) I've seen the term mentioned here on the net, but never actually any
info on it.  What is QSound?  I remember someone (woj?) saying he wished
"Waking the Witch" would be remastered in QSound, but I'm clueless as to
what exactly this is.

Yeah, I know, no *real* .gaffa signficance (though I will point out that
the northumbrian pipes are played by a woman).

Jeff

|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |
|jburka@amber.ucs.indiana.edu    |  They know the way to be happy" --KaTe |