Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

joy division

From: kk4fs!s_fungus@crdgw1.ge.com (Slender Fungus)
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 91 03:45:14 EST
Subject: joy division
Comments: Validated

Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:

> Really-From: cpaulse@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Chris D. Paulse)
>

> I had a curious dream last night where I found myself pondering the
> circumstances of Ian ?'s (can't remember his last name) death, upon which
> a character in the dream reminded me that he committed suicide.  Are
> there any music-heads out there that could elaborate on possible
> reasons why he might of taken such action?  Just curious.

Well, when you kinda look at Ian Curtis' lyrics, it seems a bit inevitable.
However, soon before Ian decided to commit suicide, his girlfriend broke up
their relationship; this is probably the event that pushed him over the
edge.
I think Joy Division was probably the most important band of the post-punk
era...Ian Curtis' lyrics were really angst ridden and very depressing...
I'd recommend all their stuff...a good start is "Substance" which is a
collection of singles and other hard to find stuff...get it on CD so you can
get the 7 bonus songs.
The remaining members of Joy Division formed New Order...actually, the early
stuff by New Order sounded a lot like Joy Division, but they strayed away
from that, basing their sound on synthesizers instead of guitars.

"When routine bites hard and ambition runs low
 And resentment rides high, but emotion won't grow..
 Then love...love will tear us apart...again."
               --- "Love Will Tear Us Apart", Joy Division

Does anyone have lyrics for their albums?  I would greatly appreciate
receiving them by mail...thanks in advance.
Slender Fungus