Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

BucKeT o' Stuff

From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 90 16:28:16 EST
Subject: BucKeT o' Stuff

Thanks to Andy for transcribing the KonvenTion interview.  I must
admit a certain amount of self-satisfaction that Kate is now talking
about how she has developed a pretty severe case of insecurity over
her performances when I have been suggesting for months that this
was the reason for the increasing rarity of live performances and
even promotional appearances.

----

Neil Calton had some interesting ideas about the next album and
proposed tour.

> Both these extracts plus Ed's news that the next album is expected to
> be complete by July 1991 and that the tour will be in support of it
> indicate that we should expect a very different Kate album next time.
> I would not be surprised if she produced a largely acoustic album
> featuring many tracks with just piano. The only comparison that comes
> to mind at the moment is Springstein's Nebraska album which was
> extremely basic compared to his other albums. I cannot see any other
> way that Kate will complete an album by the middle of next year
> unless she is planning to reduce the production to a bare minimum.

It's interesting to ponder what we might expect from Kate if she does
get back to her roots and maintains a quicker pace to her work.
Probably the last album she wrote in this manner was _Never For Ever_.
Although NFE was also the album on which she started experimenting
with the Fairlight I think her writing methods were largely unchanged
until _The Dreaming_.  In any case NFE took just more than a year
after the end of the Tour of Life so I'd say we can expect an album of
at least that level of complexity although probably not in that same
style.

I hope that a great deal of consideration goes into choosing the
venues and means of ticket sales for any tour that might come to pass.
If some means of allowing the hard core fans to pre-purchase their
tickets isn't found  scalpers will make a fortune and there are bound
to be some very distraught Kate fans left outside.  It's too
frightening to even consider.

> There were lots of female fans at the Convention. The lack of female
> UK Lovehounds probably says a lot about the deficiencies of the UK
> education system and employment opportunities for women.

I had never considered this until you mentioned it.  How odd.  What is
it about the UK educational system that so discourages women to
pursue the sort of careers that tend to provide net access.

----

Greg Clark asks,

> My request concerns the KBC comp for 'Watching You Without Me'.
> Does anyone know the answer to this one (ie. what is KaTe singing
> in the intermediate part of the song)?  Surely someone must know!
> Thanks in advance.

If you're talking about the part right after the morse code sound it's

"Don't ignore, don't ignore me,
Let me in and don't be long."

----

Richard Bollar remarks about the video shown at the convention...

> Well, waiting for it's not going to keep me awake at night.  What made me
> think that it might become available is simply the fact that the project of
> releasing this thing officially will be mainly insurmountable.  It might be
> in the Bush family's interest to see it "leaked"

I doubt that the Bush family consider it to be in there interest for
_anything_ to fall into the hands of bootleggers.  Some of the remarks
passed along from the convention, particularly those by Lisa, make it
pretty evident that the Bush family does not welcome the attentions of
bootleggers.  We should all keep that in mind...

----

A couple of folks have mention the Prisoners of Conscience appearance
scheduled by Kate.  I wouldn't be surprised to see more and more of
these sorts of appearances as Kate readjusts to being "the observed"
in preparation for any tour plans.  This could be the most exciting
year ever here on Love-Hounds!

----

Vickie, are you out there?

Just before the convention activities Vickie advertised for someone to
send Love-Hounds printouts to one of the people at Homeground.  I
volunteered but never heard anything else about it.  Has this need
been met?

Get ready for an incredible year folks!

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com