Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: I Finally Got The Box Set!!!

From: Jon Drukman <jsd@gaffa.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 90 14:33:56 -0500
Subject: Re: I Finally Got The Box Set!!!
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>Really-From: MasterMind <VNOZICK@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU>
>

>i feel that anyone who hasn't bought the box set because they feel it
>is a rip off is simply jealous because they dont have a place to buy
>it.  it is wonderful!  the pictures alone are worth the price.  the
>picture of kate in the japanese clothes (where is that from?  i hadn't
>seen it before) is one of the most beautiful ones i have ever seen.
>looking through the all-too-small-booklet, i am convinced that she is
>looking better now than she ever did.

Give me a break.  I can buy it if I want, but I don't want.  $200 for
some photos is NOT my idea of value for money.  If I had detected even
the barest hint of a creative artistic impulse in the construction of
the Box Set I would've bought it by now.  One needs only look at the
Rykodisc David Bowie Sound + Vision set.  Now THAT was exemplary
presentation: three discs FULL of rare and interesting material, in a
cool box with a BIG booklet of information and pics and a CDV to boot!
Why couldn't they just construct a special tray for the KT CDs and
include the FULL SIZE picture book that they used for the LP box set,
eh?  Even if they had only gone that far and left the contents of the
rarities CDs the same, I might've been more inclined to buying it.  As
it stands, I'll wait til I can convince my Canadian friend to get it
for me at the better-but-still-outrageous price of $130.

>my copy of the box set came with lyrics (except for the extra songs).  all 6
>albums included lyrics, a fact which made me happy, because my earlier cd's,
>being cheap american versions, were lyricless.

My cheap american CDs all have full lyrics.  Granted, the TKI booklet
is kind of cheesy, using just two panels to reproduce all the lyrics
(thus occasioning much squinting), but otherwise I'm set in that regard.

>if you haven't gotten a copy of it yet, do it!  it is the best thing that has
>happened to me in a very long time.  especially if you (like me) are jealous of
>all these accounts of the konvention, you should get it.  it will cheer you up,
>and give you the feeling that you have 'met' her too.  tww is, above all, an
>expression of kate through her music.

I think the Box Set is a good idea done very badly.  I've got all the
songs in it already.  I've got the words.  I don't have the photos,
but they are not worth it on their own (Kate is a musician, not a
fashion model!).  Hopefully they'll decide to sell the rarities discs
on their own, maybe as a double album or something.  *That* would be
worth the money.

What would've been REALLY nice: total remixing using Q-Sound, with the
B-sides from each album tacked onto the end.  I wouldn't mind paying
through the nose for a cleaned-up, remixed version of "The Kick
Inside."  Oh, but that would've taken REAL effort... rats...

--
+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? ---------------------+
|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | ZIK ZAK - We make everything you need, |