Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

(none)

From: newsmgr@vixvax.mgi.com
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 1990 10:58:49 CST
Subject: (none)

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU
Date: 18 Nov 90 16:36:17 GMT
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Really-From: usenet%planet@uunet.UU.NET

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: csd@planet.bt.co.uk (Colin Davidson)
Subject: Konvention news!!!
Sender: usenet@planet.bt.co.uk (Usenet News Manager)
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 90 16:36:05 GMT

STOP PRESS STOP PRESS STOP PRESS STOP PRESS STOP PRESS STOP PRESS STOP PRESS

Well, here goes with a quick summary of the Konvention. I'm sure the
rest of the people there will expand on what I say. Vickie taped the
som of the interview so I should you'll get a pretty detailed account
later.

The Konvention was at the Hammersmith Palais, which turned out to be a
fairly spacious nightclub. There seemed to be no indication outside of
the club that a Konvention was going on; in fact the whole thing seems
to have received little advertising. Despite this, there was over 1200
people who attended the convention. It took about an hour before
things really got started and by this time all of the Love-Hounds had
congregated in one place. IED kindly supplied us all with Love Hound
stickers so we could identify ourselves.

The Konvention was hosted by the Homeground people (possibly others;
I'm not sure) and they told us the list of events. Basically it was to
be 4 live bands and 3 sessions of videos, some of which contained rare
material. The live bands on the whole were quite good. The videos were
very interesting; although the picture was displayed on one of these
multiple screen machines, rather than being projected. The videos
covered her material from her very early days to present and showed
part of TV footage she has done and much of her life performances. We
also had spot prizes, a raffle and a quiz. We entered 3 teams in the
quiz, one of which consisted of the UK love-hounds. Unfortunately,
none of the love-hound teams one the prize, which is one of the suits
she has been known to wear. Del Palmer and Paddy Bush also turned up
and were greeted enthusiastically.

As time got neared to the great interview, many of us love-hounds
drifted towards the front, by the stage. By the time Kate came on, I
and many others were in the front row. The roar of the crowd made you
feel there were more people than there actually were. Questions were
done by people placing questions in a box earlier on and appraopriate
questions being selected (by KaTe?). The people who's questions were
selected were then passed the microphone to ask Kate the question.
Kate looked fairly relaxed, as she sat down on her couch on the stage.
The crowd were enthusiastic, but well behaved and I think this helped
put her at ease. I can't remember all of the questions, but it went on
for about half an hour.  The *big* news is that she's started work for
a new album and that she's hoping to do some live gigs at the end of
next year, possibly even a tour. This news brought tremendous applause
and KaTe seemed to really appreciate this. She also said that her fans
often helped her when she was down and that she was scared of
supermarkets. (Big grocery stores basically). I'll leave it up to the
rest of the love-hounds to fill in the details of the interview.

The best thing about it though was when she took a sheet of paper from
her stocking and sang a goodbye song reading from the paper. Everybody
was awestruck and it was a really great moment. After that she left,
waving goodbye as she went. One plucky love-hound then managed to get
her autograph by having the nerve to walk through to where she had gone. The
rest of was were really jealous.

The whole thing lasted about 4 hours and was really enjoyable. Some of
the love-hounds went to Earls Court where many of the love-hounds were
staying. There we listened to some of the interview and talked and
then listened to Chris's phone call from KaTe herself, which has been
recorded a while back. This was quite funny as Chris had been quite
naturally taken aback by being phoned up by KaTe. He must have said
'that's great' about 20 times as Kate said how much she liked the
video he had made up for the Infant Kiss.

We all met up then, and went to an Italian restaurant. I had to leave
after my meal so I don't know what happened after that.
--
Ten years ago I walked these streets my dreams were riding tall.
Tonight I would be thankful lord for any dream at all.