Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

BucKeTs o' STuff (We're Waiting...)

From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 90 20:12:56 EST
Subject: BucKeTs o' STuff (We're Waiting...)

Maybe rather than sit here watching each and every piece of news as
it arrives on our system hoping that one of our friends has been kind
enough to send a news flash about today's KonvenTion I'll sort
through the mail bag.

----

spt1@ukc.ac.uk (Stephen Thomas) writes:

> Actually, if you look carefully, the picture in the booklet is *not* the
> same photograph as _The Dreaming_ cover at all - at least, not in my
> booklet.  Compare the way her hair falls across her forehead and look
> at the direction her eyes are looking.  Just thought I'd mention that ...

You are, of course, correct.  These are different photos.  I nasty rap
on the proverbial knuckles for my inattentiveness.  In any case the
color photo is essential to do justice to Those Eyes.

---- (Still no word...)

gb10@gte.com (Gregory Bossert) writes:

> Richard Caldwell says
> > It's a shame that CDs are destroying album art.
>
> It's a shame that the record companies are destroying album art;  the CD
> format is admittedly much smaller, but there are still a lot of possibilities
> for interesting art.  Rykodisc's Bowie reissues are a good example of
[examples deleted]

While I agree that a lot more could be done with the format than is
currently the norm, this normally entails art that must be folded to
fit the standard CD case.  The resulting creases often detract as much
from the art as a smaller size would have.

---- (Still no word...)

Gary Hill <G.J.Hill@ecs.soton.ac.uk> writes:

> >Some do not have the entire collection on CD, some do not have the
> >original UK pressings, some have never even heard many of the B-sides,
>
> The records/CDs in the box set are not original UK pressings, the
> 1st  four albums have been on the mid-priced Fame record label for at
> least 4 years in the UK and these are the albums that are distributed
> with the box.

I'm not sure that this is correct.  I cannot locate any indication of
the Fame record label on my CDs.  They appear to be UK EMI pressings
except for _The Dreaming_ which appears to be the Nimbus pressing.  If
someone would care to indicate how one can check this for certain I
would be in their debt.  Perhaps I am confused on this issue.

> I considered buying the box until I saw the ridiculous
> price being charged (70# sterling for LPs). When you consider that the
> first four LPs are five pounds each and the last two around eight
> pounds, the three others (I understand there are three LPs for the TWW
> stuff?) then come in at 11 pounds each which is the going rate for a
> single CD!

If I have my exchange rates correct that certainly seems steep.  I
can't speak to the issue of UK pricing but the US price is roughly
appropriate for eight imported CDs.  The album price is about the
same as the CD price but this is more a symptom of the increasing
rarity of vinyl than any sort of scam on Kate's part.  In any case
buying the Anthology on LP as anything but a collector's item seems a
bit like buying expensive sculptures done in butter to me.

Another issue that was never made entirely clear was whether of not
the Anthology would be a limited edition.  If this is the case it has
a good deal of bearing on the pricing.

> I just hope that the record company do what hapeened with a recent
> Jethro Tull box set and release the new stuff separately. Or I'll wait
> a while for the price to halve like it did  with the Bruce Springsteen
> 5LP set.

And then we'll hear the squeals of those who bought the anthology to
get just the rarities and B sides.   Caveat Emptor.  Don't buy the set
unless you want exactly what it has to offer and are willing to pay
the price.

---- (Still no word...)

The Holy Lunching Friars of Voondoon <CARROLLJ%ALCBAN@KRDC.INT.Alcan.CA>
writes of his Enlightenment:

> Ok, thinks me. Lets see what these LoveHounds have been raving about.
>         (OHMYGODWHATTHEHELLISHAPPENINGITISNTSUPPOSEDTOBELIKETHIS!)
> Ill leave you to work out what happened while it was playing, I'm sure you
> have all gone through the same, somewhat indescribeable experience.
> Needless to say, the end of the tape finds me sitting perfectly still,
> in a daze, sweating slightly (I kid you not).

It's always a pleasure to read these accounts because it brings back
such clear memories of my own Enlightenment.  I'm sure many other
Love-Hounds feel the same way.

> I managed to find a copy of The Whole Story video, brand new, on a
> market stall for a fiver (borrowed the money straight away!).

And how pleased you must have been to find that Kate's divinity
encompasses the visual realm as well as the aural.

> What I'm trying to say is THANKYOU LoveHounds for making me actually pick up
> the tape and listen. You don't know how good it makes me feel.

You're welcome!

---- (Still no word...)

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com