Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Submission for rec-music-gaffa

From: Gary Hill <G.J.Hill@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: 13 Nov 90 10:40:42 GMT
Subject: Submission for rec-music-gaffa
Responding-System: ecs.soton.ac.uk

From: gjh@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Gary Hill)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: HERESY on Threee Counts!
Date: 13 Nov 90 10:40:41 GMT

In <9011092213.AA12419@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:

>Really-From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)

>Some do not have the entire collection on CD, some do not have the
>original UK pressings, some have never even heard many of the B-sides,

The records/CDs in the box set are not original UK pressings, the
1st  four albums have been on the mid-priced Fame record label for at
least 4 years in the UK and these are the albums that are distributed
with the box.  I considered buying the box until I saw the ridiculous
price being charged (70# sterling for LPs). When you consider that the
first four LPs are five pounds each and the last two around eight
pounds, the three others (I understand there are three LPs for the TWW
stuff?) then come in at 11 pounds each which is the going rate for a
single CD!  Admittedly the whole thing is packaged up and includes
some pictures but when you consider that a lot of people will already
have all the studio stuff, the pricing seems rather steep to me. In
fact blatant con is the term I have been using!

I just hope that the record company do what hapeened with a recent
Jethro Tull box set and release the new stuff separately. Or I'll wait
a while for the price to halve like it did  with the Bruce Springsteen
5LP set.

I just object when dedicated fans are taken for a ride and have to buy
duplicate material to keep collections complete, let alone pay over
the odds for it!

Gary Hill, gjh@uk.ac.soton.ecs