Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Hello Earth (she's still here!)

From: NEWSMGR@kontu.utu.fi
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 90 20:03 EET
Subject: Hello Earth (she's still here!)

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU
Date: 13 Oct 90 15:21:33 GMT
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Really-From: amadeus@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Susan Harwood)

Well, I disappear for a couple of months and everyone is planning to
go to England without me.  I wish I could, but I don't see any way
how.  I don't even get vacation until 22 November.  But anyway...

I'm back!  I'm married, and I no longer have a fractured foot!  I can
jump back in the fray with everyone else!  Hi everybody!  Hi Vicki, Hi
Rob, Hi Ed, Hi Doug, Hi anybody I missed!  Calloo, callay, no work
today, I've caught up with my life and I can post again!
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

(Ahem.)

My husband gave me three Kate books for one of my wedding presents:
_Kate Bush Complete_ (lyrics -n- things); _Kate Bush_ (the visual
documentary by Kevin Cann and Sean Mayes), and a *strange* little book
called _The Secret History of Kate Bush (and the strange art of pop)_
by Fred Vermorel.

This thing is weird.  He talks about Kate's ancestors (mentioning "her
Pagan and Saxon roots through 1,400 years in the 'Witch county'
Essex), and her name ("'Catherine' swoons across the page.  'Kate'
stands up.") and, I surmise, the underlying reason for his interest:

"I remember the first EMI poster which loomed from buses and tube
stations to katenap my eye in '78.  Grave delicious Kate, plump owl in
her tangled nest of puzzled hair with nipples blowing tiny kisses
through a cotton vest.  Kate and I joined in instant photolock.  Kate
Bush, bushy Kate, laid out for me by the EMI artroom boys with a
gourmet's delight like a table for guests.  A strawberry tea spread,
with eyes like doughnuts full of jam, and butter lips and full cream
cheeks spread with a blunt knife by the vicar's wife..."

There's a later section where he likens "Bush" to "boucher" and the
inevitable cognate pussy, and another where he says that she looks
like a real woman, one who "might menstruate, sign cheques-- or punch
my nose."

Has anyone come across this?  I'm sure many of you have.  It's very
weird.  The lyric book has me hankering for the demos again; if I'm
real good and promise not to break any bones or get married again
could someone help me out with getting them?  I promise to answer
everyone promptly-- after all those thank-you's, I can answer
anything.

One more interesting thing: Last Mabon (Autumnal Equinox), my circle
had it at my house (because we had 17 guests and I had the only
backyard in the whole group).  Mic and I hadn't unpacked yet, so our
Kate posters were all in one place.  Someone dug out the "Lionheart
Tour" poster (you know, the Babooshka costume with the fake tour name
one) and they all flipped out.  Who was this creature, this goddess?
And where could one get an outfit like that?  :-) I told them it
looked even better in color, then proceeded to show them the
"Babooshka" video.  Since then, I've had several people ask me about
Kate recordings and maybe even seeing the entire video.  Heh-heh.  I
love it when that happens.

Well, that's enough for now.  I think I've made up for my two month's
absence.  Once again, my apologies to everyone it looked like I
dropped cold; life was just *amazingly* difficult.  But I'm back!
"The whims that we're weeping for our parents would be beaten for."--Kate Bush
----------amadeus@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu---------The University of Texas @Austin---