Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Idioglossia: the language of twins

From: kk4fs!s_fungus@crdgw1.ge.com (Slender Fungus)
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 90 22:34:58 EDT
Subject: Re: Idioglossia: the language of twins
Comments: Validated

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:

> Really-From: gtaylor@vme.heurikon.com (Gregory Taylor)
>

> In article <7921@scolex.sco.COM> Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
> >Rumor has it that the Cocteau Twins often sing in Esperanto.
> >Is this truth or fiction?  Anyone know anything about this?
>
> In the middle of an interview with Harold Budd for my radio show, I
> asked him about precisely this, since he's worked with Liz Fraser
> before. He says that she does, indeed, sing in English. The lyrics
> are quite often merely lists of words chosen for sound or the sound
> they have when she alters the pronunciation.
> --
> history is an angel/being blown backwards into the future/ and the angel
> wants to go back and fix things/to repair the things that have been broken
> /but there is a storm blowing from paradise/and the storm keeps blowing
> the angel/backwards into the future/and this storm is called progress.

wow.  I was able to discern a few words from Cocteau songs, e.g. the titles
of the songs, but for the most part, they are sounds, I guess.
There was an article in a mag in response to someone's request for Cocteau
lyrics...but, they aren't available because they are just weird
pronunciations...
Anyway, I recognized the lyrics from "The Dream Before"...
Hello, fellow Laurie Anderson fan!  and Cocteau Twins!  and Kate Bush!
I've been trying to order "Home of the Brave" (video), but to no avail.
Have you heard "United States I-IV"??? It's expensive, but it's a must for
Laurie Anderson fans...

whatever...

"I -- I feel -- feel like -- I am -- in a burning building
 and I gotta go"