Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Lyrics Server -- I still can't use it

From: Jon Drukman <jsd@gaffa.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 90 14:45:54 -0400
Subject: Re: Lyrics Server -- I still can't use it
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>Really-From: Kevin J Martin <sigma@rpi.edu>
>>I'm not sure that this is the problem.  I am on Bitnet, but going to school
>>about a mile away from UMass, Amherst's VAX is even hooked up into a local
>>network with Umass, and the messages I've sent to the lyrics server have
>>also been bounced back to me, with the same message of not having clearance
>>or whatever the wording was...
>
>As best I can figure, the Lyrics server is deceased due to legal issues.
>The lyrics are, of course, copyrighted as part of the work, and even though
>they aren't usually worth much to someone who doesn't already own the music,
>it's still a legal issue.  This is what I've figured from rec.music.misc
>recently.

For the eight million and twelfth time, NO!  There are absolutely no
legal cases pending against the server and its administration.  I
think the inbound file is filled up and the guy who runs it hasn't
bothered to restart it lately.  That's ALL.  Once he gets off his butt
and fixes it, everything will be fine and dandy again.  OK?  Repeat
after me: the server is alive and well, but temporarily out of
commission.  This better be the last time I have to say this.

--
+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? ---------------------+
|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | ZIK ZAK - We make everything you need, |