Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Boycott? Uh oh, I'm in trouble again...

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago)
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 90 04:33:01 -0400
Subject: Boycott? Uh oh, I'm in trouble again...

Vickie here.

So I'm on Dave & Robert's shit lists because I called the Anthem
"stinky & stupid". Oh well darn!

Excuse me for not adding this:

* IMHO * the national anthem is stinky and stupid.

I don't like The Star Spangled Banner and I've NEVER liked TSSB.
Why does our national anthem have to glorify war? Why should I
revere a song that's about how swell it is that, after a night
of heavy fighting, old Betsy's still flapping proudly in the breeze?
Just never you mind all those dead bodies lying underneath it.
Yeah, a patriotic song all right! We're inches away from war with Iraq
and people seem awfully worried about superficial National Symbols now.

I've always liked America The Beautiful better (even with the reference
to God and the "fruited plains"). Our National Anthem should
glorify America's beauty. Lord knows we're mucking up the beauty and
if our schoolchildren and sports fans had to sing about "spacious skies
and amber waves of grain" all the time maybe they'd think more about
trying to keep America beautiful. That goes for all of us Yanks.

I shake my head in despair at America's problems, but we still have things
like The Grand Canyon, The Cascades, The Everglades, Flint Hills, the
Western coastline, Sedona, Arizona, Fall in New England, the Rocky Mtns,
Mesa Verde and about a million other wonderful places that should be the
main focus for America's National Anthem. TSSB is outdated and dull and
hard to sing. If I wanted a military song as an anthem I'd vote for
Paul Hardcastle's "19". Better yet, "Army Dreamers".

For an environmental song as a national anthem, I vote for Jane's
"Bound By The Beauty". Ok, she's Canadian. So what! Does anybody
really know for sure that Francis Scott Key was an "American"?
Didn't we all come from somewhere else? Well, except for the Native
Americans, whose land we stole. Hey didn't they come across from Siberia?

>  You owe some big-time apologies on this one! Perhaps we should
>  take a cue from your heroine Sinnead, and have a Vickie boycott on this
>  newsgroup until you do....

Ok, "boycott" me if you wish, many have. I just don't feel that I owe
anyone an apology for stating my opinion about a SONG. Big-time "to heck
with that noise" is all you'll hear from me, thank you very much.

As far as Sinead being my heroine, if you remember my original posting,
I don't even own either one of her albums! They're still on hold for me
at the record store though...a USED record store I might add (support 'em!)
and I think I'll go get them tomorrow.

Kate'n'Jane are my heros.

Thanks Greg & Ed!

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)