Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Not going? What? (&Breeder&Karen)

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago)
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 90 01:10:58 -0400
Subject: Not going? What? (&Breeder&Karen)

Vickie here:

Gregory writes:

> Way Cool, Vickie and Chris:  glad you're going, since I know you guys
> will post a pile of stuff about it... and y'all deserve to go, after all...

Thanks! I have to get back into the habit of writing I suppose. Chicago's
just too much fun...keeps me away from the keyboard. That was one
advantage to living in boring old Kansas City...lots of time for writing!

> and I can't figure out how I can get away from work...

Well, I certainly understand if there were a possibility of you getting
fired. That's what I thought would happen when I went to my boss and
said that I was going on vacation less than two months after I started
the job. It turned out that she's just WILD about England and was very
understanding about the whole thing. The only thing she said that was
anywhere near negative was "you know you won't get paid for the time off"
and I said "oh yeah! I know that!" so I shouldn't have worried so much.

But, if you're sure you won't get fired and the company won't dissolve
into a puddle of seaweed slosh while you're gone--then consider it.
Money's not a problem so think of it this way: In 1995 you'll
look back and say "gee, I really SHOULD have taken that few days off work
back in 1990" or "Wow! I'm SO GLAD I took that few days off work back in
1990!!!" and the decision of which it will be is yours to make NOW.

:-)

Not trying to pressure you or anything of course.

:-) :-)

> BUT, just in case I do go PLEASE post anything you find out
> about housing, etc.

You bet!

> Also, let's make sure there is a Love-Hounds meeting place;  I'd hate
> to go all that way and not  meet a bunch of people from here (?!)

I agree and I'm working on it.

About The Breeders, I borrowed the CD and played one song from it on my
Kansas City show a few weeks ago, then I gave the CD back. I haven't
bought it for myself yet and I don't know when I will. I wouldn't say that
I don't reccommend it, it just didn't interest me very much. I will admit
that I didn't give it the multiple listens that it might deserve. I just
have problems with music that's "noise". Maybe I'm just getting old (though
I still love Diamanda!) but it just grated on my nerves. "Oh" was the only
song that I really liked and that's the one I played. If you say that it's
worth another listen though, I'll look for it in the notorious used CD bins.
I hope those women wear earplugs when performing or rehearsing. It's a
wonder Kim Deal isn't deaf already! I guess The Breeders prove that women
can make "music to go deaf by" just as well as men. :-)

About Karen Finley, I have no interest in ever seeing her perform or
hearing her work, but I admire her as a person. I was FURIOUS that she
(and the others) lost their grants!! Are we in the process of slipping
back into the Dark Ages? Sadly, it seems so. I've been stupid in that I
haven't voted since 1980. As soon as I get an Illinois driver's license
I'm going to register to vote. Those moronic, fundamentalist fascists
are just getting way too powerful and it's scary. I'll even go buy all of
Finley's albums just to show support, even if I don't listen to them.
I almost bought both of Sinead's albums to show support for her right not
to want our stinky old anthem (it's a STUPID song!) played before her
concert, except the place I was going to buy them wouldn't accept a check
since I didn't have an Illinois driver's license. Ah, the plastic that
governs our lives... Anyway, I just LOVE the story about her joining the
anti-Sinead protesters and even being interviewed as one of them.

See you Gregory...(in November?)

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris of Chicago)
katefans@world.std.com