Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Dang! and Box Set

From: derek%sunstroke@sdsu.edu (Derek Langsford)
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 90 13:30:17 PDT
Subject: Dang! and Box Set

For a few days I was thinking that I might be able to get to the KaTe
Convention: I could fly directly from San Diego to London on BA; stand-by
would only be $600 perhaps, and I could visit my family too.  Yes, it could
work. For a graduate student it is an excrutiatingly large amount of money to
"squander" but it would make me very happy.  I would be able to say I've seen
her in the flesh and meet many other Love-Hounds - ample compensation for the
expense.

*BUT* I just realised that it is impossible :-((((((.   I am getting married
in 4 weeks and my fiancee is a US citizen; my current entry visa has expired
(I am currently here legally though :-)), and I cannot leave the US until 3
months after the wedding when I will get a temporary residency card.  If I
left the country (even to nip down to Tijuana) I couldn't get back legally.
So rather than be away from my intended for up to 3 months and completely
screwing up my academic career I will be staying here reading gaffa as the
postings about the event come streaming over the wires :-(.  Blame the INS
regulations.  It's all their fault, sob.

I feel deflated.  It just wasn't to be.  I'm sure those who are going will
have a terrific time.  London is a wonderful city in many respects.  I will
look forward to reading the reports.  I'm as envious as hell!

THE BOX SET
Great it won't be a limited edition.  That means stores here cannot justify
prices like $200 to $250.  Jorn, have you mentioned this to that rip-off
joint? There will also be ample copies for KaTefans outside the UK.  We won't
need to make special arrangements for mail order before they run out.  My
regular importer should get it without problems.  I am still wondering which
of the tracks were omitted from the original 34 listed in Homeground?  We'll
have to wait and see I suppose.

I dispute Steve Davis' statement about non-existence or licensing problems.
Of course they exist.  Many of us have copies of them in one form or another.
The original version of "Be Kind to My Mistakes" was released on vinyl by EMI.
And isn't the "Live at Hammersmith" video put out by EMI as well?  I speculate
the problems were: EMI not wanting to find the other recordings; EMI not
wanting to pay for the rights to those recordings; EMI not wanting to put out
more than 2 new CDs, and possibly Kate not wanting the recordings released.  I
respect the last reason though I wish it weren't so.  Oh well, Andy and I
should have been quicker with the letter but the public news about the set
probably came after all the decisions were made.  At least Kate had a lot of
input on the project.  Maybe someone could ask her "why is she/EMI making us
buy all her albums again?" at the Convention. Also "where are all those
missing tracks?"  Maybe we should have sent the letter to Kate herself.

Keeping my chin up,

Derek

P.S.  I am still seeing Alex's message now and then (on my terminal not in my
head:-)
Derek Langsford                 | "It could take me all my life,
Polperro->Edinburgh->San Diego  |  or it could only take a moment..."
derek@sunstroke.sdsu.edu        |                  Kate Bush, Love & Anger