Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Box in Boston

From: Liz Bonesteel <eboneste@BBN.COM>
Date: 21 Sep 90 14:53:23 GMT
Subject: The Box in Boston
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@BBN.COM

In article <9009210403.AA09314@bunny.gte.com> Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
>I'm assuming Newbury Comics will
>have it here in Boston,

Oh, ye of tremendous faith.  Unless CBS, out of the goodness of their
hearts, officially authorizes the distribution of the Box, it will be
illegal for any record store in the US to import and resell it.  NC
used to have an influx of "unauthorized" material every couple of
months (stupid me, upon seeing THREE import XTC discs one day, bought
one, figuring I'd have time to save more money before buying the
others), but now that they've become a genuine chain they don't
indulge in such practices anymore.  (Case in point:  I picked up an
old Joy Division disc entitled "Warsaw" there last year that turned
out to be [most likely] a bootleg.  When a fellow JD fan called their
Framingham store to see if they had it, he was told somewhat
defensively "We don't CARRY bootlegs!" A few weeks later, the disc
disappeared from their stock and I haven't seen it since.) I suppose
they figure they're big enough to attract the attention of the Feds
now.

>but just in case do we have a definate mail order
>source???

I understand both HMV and Tower in London accept orders from the US.
After the VAT discount the price tends to be pretty competitive.  I
don't have the numbers, but I'm sure some kind Love-Hound will post
them when the time comes.

Planning to eat meat loaf for a few months,

Liz

I feel better than James Brown.
		- Was (Not Was)