Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: gb10@gte.com (Gregory Bossert)
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 90 00:03:03 -0400

Wow! Unbelievable!  GTE has been on and off the nets (NEARnet problems, and
bunny, our public VAX, had puppies)  ANYWAY, I've apparently missed a lot
(like 20-odd postings from Alex..)  So:

Way Cool, Vickie and Chris:  glad you're going, since I know you guys will
post a pile of stuff about it, and I can't figure out how I can get away from
work... and y'all deserve to go, after all...  BUT, just in case I do go
(us consultants make bundles o' money, and this saving stuff is for wimps...)
PLEASE post anything you find out about housing, etc.  Also, let's make sure
there is a Love-Hounds meeting place;  I'd hate to go all that way and not
meet a bunch of people from here (?!)

Re: The CD BOXED SET

(AHH! It's back! oh, wait, that's not alex, it's me...)
So, it looks like we're spending ~$150.  I'm assuming Newbury Comics will
have it here in Boston, but just in case do we have a definate mail order
source???  And by the way, the fact that Ms. Bush apparently put the set
together + this convention seems to back up Vickie's thought that KaTe
may be getting ready to take a break.  Disaster for us, though good for her.
Just wondering, does anyone know how much she actually makes off her music?
Can she afford not to release an album for a while?  (Of course, even when
she is officially working on something it takes years, so it's all sorta
moot, as it were...)

Sorry if I missed a previous review, but some of y'all maybe interested in
_Pod_ by the Breeders.  (4AD CAD US 0006-2, dist. by Rough Trade)  It's
Kim Deal of Pixies and Tanya Donelly of Throwing Muses, and it sounds like
you would expect:  a bit sparse, low-key, odd cover of Lennon's "Happiness is
a warm gun".  Other group members are Josephine Wiggs and Shannon Doughton;
anyone know where Ms. Wiggs is from? (Sounds familiar...)

I recently saw (the notorious) Karen Finley (at the Harvard Loeb theater).
For those who have missed the controversy, Ms. Finley is one of four (at
least) artists who have lost federal funding since the Robert Mapplethorpe
flap;  in Karen's case, the problem was her tendency to do in public the
kind of things that get done to women in private.  Anyway, the show wasn't
perfect, but it was very good, and I recommend it to anyone interested in
honest, angry performance from a women's viewpoint.  I bring this up because
Karen Finley has done a 'duet' with Sinead O'Connor on Jump in the River, and
I *cannot* find the single anywhere.  (Actually, I can get a tape from the MIT
radio station, but I want to buy it...)  So, anyone got any leads.  (Apologies
to those who already heard me beg on the JITR mailing list...)

Footah!

-greg -- gb10@gte.com -- "Go stick your head in a pig!"