Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re:

From: Andrew David Weiland <aw1s+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 90 16:22:56 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re:

>Whoa nelly!
 >
>Hold on a sec.
>
>For one thing, I thought that "Breathing" was about the dangers of cigarette
>smoking...("Breathing the nicotine")...
>And you say that she's a heavy smoker?   aaaaaaaaght!
>
>Next you'll tell me that she is a Scientologist.
>
>Say it's not true!

	She may not be a Scientologist, but there were a lot of Homeopathy
rumors going around the net last spring. . .
	Seriously though, "Breathing" is not about smoking but about the way we
voluntarily endanger our own health and survival with all sorts of
noxious substances (including cigarrette smoke and especially radiation)
told from the point of view of the next generation, which has lost its
future before it even began.
	Listen to the end of the song again, which includes the spoken news
report.  I consider "Breathing" to be the strongest song on its album
("Never for Ever") and perhaps the only truly political Kate Bush song.
It is one of my favorite Kate Bush songs, and IMHO her best poetically
(excepting "The Jig of Life").

|an Andrew D. M. U. Weiland production.  Gratuitous quote:   |
|"The Fire Swamp!  We'll never survive!"                              |
|"Nonsense, you're only saying that because no one ever has."|