Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: barr roseanne? No, Skin sinead

From: ptsfa!pacbell!tjb@PacBell.COM
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 90 13:42:57 PDT
Subject: Re: barr roseanne? No, Skin sinead
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <1990Aug31.153212.3550@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> you write:
>Really-From: wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner)
>
>>Really-From: ptsfa!pacbell!tjb@ns.PacBell.COM
>
>>well actually i think that the reason some of us percieve sinead's action
>>as an ego trip is that i doubt she would've made a fuss about any other
>>national anthem than america's.
>
>Pathetic argument. They wouldn't have *played* any other national
>anthem than America's.

Pathetic rebuttal.  I meant if sinead were in coutry X where X != USA
she wouldn't have made any fuss.  (ok well maybe if X == South Africa or
something....)

>>so when someone like sinead starts criticizing our country you have to wonder
>>what she is proposing as an alternative.
>
>Yo! Wake up and smell the coffee! Sinead didn't criticize *anything*.

I am awake, you apparently are drifting through some kind of dream.  yes
sinead didn't *overtly* criticize our country, but there are many many
shades of meaning in her action to those of us who live here--it is, as
another poster pointed out, the kind of snub that would get one of us
labelled an "ugly american" were we to do it in another country.  I find
this double standard intolerable.

>For that matter, playing the national anthem before a rock concert is
>a pretty stupid idea anyway.

This, i agree with.

>Moron.

Hmm, are you referring to yourself or am i to take this as an ad
hominem attack?  i suppose probably the latter, since you really haven't
made any valid points here.  Nice try but remember, "the universe does
not give A's for effort--and neither do i".

tjb								 tjb@PacBell.COM
Deadhead.  Fencer.  Geek.				         pacbell!tjb

"welcome to california.  now go home."