Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: news@acns.nwu.edu
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 90 18:06:30 CDT

Date: 30 Aug 90 23:06:28 GMT
From: The News System <usenet@accuvax.nwu.edu>
To: rec-music-gaffa
Subject: Submission for rec-music-gaffa
Responding-System: accuvax.nwu.edu

From: kaufman@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Michael L. Kaufman)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Oh Say Can You See?
Date: 30 Aug 90 23:06:26 GMT
Sender: news@accuvax.nwu.edu

In article <9008300843.AA11311@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
Really-From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)
>Second, if Sinead doesn't want to be associated with our National
>Anthem she has the right to excercise whatever influence she has to
>prevent that.  But by doing so she is suppressing the ideas of others.

This is crazy.  First of all, she did not say that people are not to sing the
natoinal anthem, only that she didn't want it sung before her concert.  (I know
that I am going to get flamed for this but...)  This is alot like the argument
that says that if I don't support NEA sponsership for some piece of art then I
am censoring that art.  Second, since you are saying that she should suppress
other peoples ideas before her concert, would you have the same opinion if the
promoter had wanted to play a few anti-irish songs before the concert?  Or
maybe the latest Andrew Dice Clay album?  If it's not her show until she
starts, why not?  If you don't think that there is anything wrong with her
objecting to these things, then tell me what the difference is.  Just because
you and I might respect the National anthem, why does she have to?

Michael

Michael