Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

_Goldmine_ (Ed's posting)

From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 90 01:06 PDT
Subject: _Goldmine_ (Ed's posting)

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick (IED)

   Ed Suranyi, our much appreciated Livermore KateBushologist, writes:
 > Visual Sound lists:
 > Kate Bush -- "Greatest Hits", CD in metal flying saucer, edition
 >      limited to 100, UK   $65
 >
 >    Anybody ever hear of this?

   Not IED, anyway. This item sounds very unlikely to IED, Ed.
If it's a limited edition of _The_Whole_Story_, then why was there
never any mention of such an edition at the time? And there was never
any release called _Greatest_Hits_. Especially since the ad specifies
that it's a UK release.
   This sounds a lot like the recent appearance of "special limited
editions" of the catalogue albums (on CD) in "mahogany" boxes. That
just doesn't sound legitimate to IED. It sounds more like a clever new
marketing ploy by some bootlegging outfit: "Let's repackage Kate's albums
in some novel and interesting ways, claim they're 'limited', and watch those
naive Kate fans come running." Of course, IED could simply be embarassingly
ignorant of EMI's limited/deluxe output over the last decade...

 > John Diuk lists the following CD:
 > Kate Bush - Burning Desire (London 5/13/73)   $25
 >
 >   This CAN'T be right -- can it?

   Two possible explanations come to mind for this peculiar new
item, Ed. 1.) This is a bootleg of the "Cathy Demos", finally out
on CD. On the plus side for this theory are the title (it can be
seen to reflect the young Kate's aspirations for a career in music)
and the general date--1973 could very possibly have been the date
of the "Cathy Demos"' creation. 2.) This is just a new bootleg CD
version of the _Hammersmith_ soundtrack. IED notes that 5/13 was
the date of the performance which was used to make the _On_Stage_
EP and the _Hammersmith_ film. If that is the case, then obviously
the bootleggers got the year wrong--off by six years, in fact.
   I hope anyone who can shed some light on these bizarre new listings
will share that knowledge with the group. Thanks.

 >After being impossible to find for many years, several people now have
 >the US picture sleeve of "Wuthering Heights" for sale for $30-40.  How
 >does it look?  Is it the same picture as the UK sleeve?

     IED bought one when it was first released in the States, but
like a fool gave it away (this was in the days before IED had started
colleKTing in a systematic way). The sleeve featured, as IED recalls, a
photo from the "country-western" (i.e. blue jeans and red socks) photo
session, although whether it was the very same shot as that seen on the
second U.S. edition of _TKI_ or not IED cannot remember. The
back of the sleeve included the lyrics of _Wuthering_Heights_. It
was very nicely done, IED thought. And you're right, it has been
very hard to find for years.
   For whoever it might interest, IED's human representative, Andrew
Marvick, will be forsaking Los Angeles for New York City at the start
of September, in further desperate and pathetic pursuit of a Ph.D.
at his school, Columbia University. Further particulars will, with
any luck, appear shortly after Andrew's migration.

-- Andrew Marvick
   "New York exciting? Yeah. Like being in an accident's exciting."