Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Submission for rec-music-gaffa

From: Boss Tweed <root@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>
Date: 5 Jul 90 03:37:13 GMT
Subject: Submission for rec-music-gaffa
Responding-System: iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

From: jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: seKreT messages, etc
Date: 5 Jul 90 03:37:13 GMT
Sender: root@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

And more on the backwards stuff:

After IED posted his full lyrics to "Watching You Without Me," I pulled
out the handy-dandy digitizer and tried listening to some of the stuff.

I have a lot of trouble making out the backward "You don't hear me."s that
appear mid/end verse.  They're obviously there and that's what she's saying,
but it's not as clear as a lot of other backwards-masked stuff (largely
'cause it seems to be meant largely as part of the instrumental score
as opposed to a very blatant secret message that is out in the open for
anyone to grab (such as Floyd's message on "The Wall", which is only on one
track, with no music, so it's easy to manipulate).

What was _really_ fantastic was the repeated "We see you here." that
follows the "Don't ignore me..." part.  Before IED posted his lyrics, I
would have sworn that Kate was singing this part forward--I wasn't
sure about the lyrics (I figgered they were something like "We really see."),
but I had no idea this was backwards-masked.  When you turn it around, you
hear some amazing singing.  Simply too cool--something that sounds 'real'
both forward and backward (I never really agreed with the stuff about "We
let the weirdness in"--sound gibberish to me backward.)

I also played around a bit with the chopped-up parts on WYWM.

The first time I digitized the first part, I happened to only do one
track (I think it was the right track, but I'm not positive).  I
reversed it, then listened for IED's purported backward message--"I was
here before, you talked to me, you said that you didn't think it was too
late to help me...".  What I heard, though, was the _forward_ message
("Help me baby, help me baby, talk to me..."), though it was a bit
choppier.  It sounded like KaTe had simply "chopped" up the original tape and
inserted every-other bit backward--where the backwards bits were a little
shorter than the forward.  When I tried digitizing it with _both_ tracks,
I heard IED's message--and his transcription seems pretty close.  I haven't
yet had the chance to try this part with just the left track; perhaps this
will shed some light on the matter.

On a completely different matter, I experienced Bliss today--walking along
the beach, the waves washing over my feet, CD player slug over my shoulder,
listening to John Carder reciting (singing?  chanting?) the end of "Jig of
Life."  Sea gulls crying, wind in my hair, the crash of the waves....oooooh!

"For Now does ride in on the curl of a wave..."

Jeff
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "On the outskirts of nowhere           |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   |  on the ringroad to somewhere,         |
|jburka@amber.ucs.indiana.edu    |  on the verge of indecision..." --Fish |