Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Neal's videos

From: think!ames!claris!portal!cup.portal.com!Henry_Burdett_Messenger@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Fri, 8-Jun-90 14:31:50 PDT
Subject: Neal's videos

> (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City) write:

> Neal gives his listing of videos:
>
>>    Peter Gabriel does a song by himself at a keyboard of some sort
>>    prior to an interesting routine for _Ran Tan Waltz_.  Kate is
>
> That song is "Here Comes The Flood" and it's the most moving, subtly
> emotional version I've ever heard him sing. It makes me cry.

Is that the Fripp-flavor or the Gabriel-flavor? :-)

There are two studio versions of "Here Comes the Flood."

The first is on _Peter Gabriel I_ and is an ensemble performance (his whole
band). It seems overproduced to me -- the power of the song is lost in the
clutter.

The second is on _Exposure_ (Robert Fripp) and is electric piano and
Frippertronics guitar (very subtle in back of the mix). This is an
*outstanding* version, and it basically the one he plays live.

(You will also find a version of "Exposure" on _Peter Gabriel II_... these
were kind of collaberative efforts)
                                  - hbm
Henry B. Messenger         | "Some said they were joking.
henry_burdett_messenger@   |  Some said they had serious intentions.
    cup.portal.com         |  All of you were correct.