Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Belew, Bowie, and Fripp Fripp

From: John M. Relph <relph@presto.ig.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 1990 16:37:38 PDT
Subject: Belew, Bowie, and Fripp Fripp

<ames!ames!claris!portal!cup.portal.com!Henry_Burdett_Messenger@uunet.UU.NET>
writes:

>Brian Patrick Arnold <ba0k+@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
>
>        Since Adrian is playing guitar for Bowie on his tour, maybe we'll
>        get to see some of these songs (Please!!)

Yes, Bowie and Belew sang (and played) "Pretty Pink Rose" live at last
week's concerts at the Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View, CA, USA.

>        Has anybody heard anything about Fripp & Fripp? Bob was supposed
>        to be starting a new band with Toyah Wilcox and a member of the
>        LoCG (playing Chapman Stick!!), but I haven't heard much about this.

"Fripp Fripp", the band that Robert Fripp said he was forming with his
wife Toyah (Willcox), is now called Sunday All Over the World, and has
been playing live in preparation for the recording of an album since
sometime mid-1989.  I believe SAOTW may actually be recording by now.

Sunday All Over the World consists of Robert Fripp on guitar and
devices, Toyah Willcox on vocals and bounce, Trey Gunn on Chapman
Stick, and Paul Beavis on drums.  I believe that Mr Gunn has/had
composed some pieces for/with the League of Crafty Guitarists.

I attended a SAOTW show last September at the Town and Country club in
London (so to speak) and I must say that, yes, it's true that this
band is unlike anything Robert has done before.  It's a little more
pop and less dance than The League of Gentlemen, and certainly not as
wild and intellectually demanding as King Crimson (in any
incarnation).  At the time the band seemed a little unsure of the
material, but I'm sure that by now they are pretty tight, and I hope
we see an album soon.

	-- John