Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: OK, so I can have bad taste in music too...!

From: lee@quincy.cs.umass.edu (Peter Lee)
Date: 7 Jun 90 19:34:24 GMT
Subject: Re: OK, so I can have bad taste in music too...!
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@cs.umass.edu

In article <2527@network.ucsd.edu> Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:

   From: Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU
   Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
   Date: 7 Jun 90 03:41:14 GMT

   Really-From: cchin@UCSD.EDU (Chet Chin)

   In article <9006070118.AA03238@world.std.com> Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
   >Really-From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)

   [stuff deleted]
   >album by THE worst group in the history of the universe--Shonen Knife.
   [stuff deleted]
   >were! The group is 3 women from Japan and they're so bad that they make the
   [stuff deleted]
   >They have a massively small cult following, especially in Los Angeles, where
   [more stuff deleted...]

   the point is, dear vickie, have you ever heard of the frank
   chickens?  they're two japanese women who are based in england and
   have released a couple of albums.  their first single, i believe,
   was called "we are ninja".

   i'm bringing this to your notice not because the frank chickens are
   bad, altho those in england who read this newsgroup and who have
   heard of them may beg to differ, but only because you mentioned
   that shonen knife is 3 women from japan.  japan - ping!! - that's
   the buzz word, and i'm only putting in my two cents' worth.

   okay, back to work... (trying to start the first of two term papers
   - the last two for this year - yeah!!)

   chet   ^   ^
	-[+]-[@]-
	    ^
	   `-'

Actually, Frank Chickens are great live, and while their music can border on
disco drivel on occasion, some of it is quite interesting.  Their lyrics
often deal with themes of alienation -- as asians dealing with British and
American racism and as women in a male-dominated society.  They also have a
great sense of humour (their first album includes a tribute to Mothra).  They
sing mostly in (heavily accented) english with occassional japanese phrases
thrown in.  I have 3 of their albums and I know of at least one other.  They
also have at least three singles out, all of which are worth checking out if
you are looking for something a tad bizarre -- "We Are Ninja (not Geisha)",
about sexism and japanese stereotypes in the west, "Blue Canary" (a
wonderfully twisted ballad about a dallas housewife), and "Yellow Toast"
(about British racism).

Not Kate by any means, and I can only take them in small doses myself, but
certainly unique performers with some different perspectives.
--
|-                       Peter E. Lee, Staff Assistant                       -|
|   Software Development Lab at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst    |