Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

OK, so I can have bad taste in music too...!

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 90 21:18:52 -0400
Subject: OK, so I can have bad taste in music too...!

Another thought:

Gee, I guess I'm the last person who should be all pretentious and uppity
about musical taste because I love The Shaggs, and they're the second worst
group in the history of the universe. Plus, I just paid good money for an
album by THE worst group in the history of the universe--Shonen Knife.
Guess what? I knew what they sounded like before I bought the LP (at least
I didn't buy the CD, I had it in my hands though) and knew how bad they
were! The group is 3 women from Japan and they're so bad that they make the
Shaggs sound like they're ready for Carnegie Hall!
They have a massively small cult following, especially in Los Angeles, where
a bunch of punkers got together and recorded an album of Shonen Knife
cover songs. It's got to be better than the original versions but I went
ahead and got Shonen's album anyway. I haven't listened to the entire thing
yet. I can only take a few second at a time. God help me if I ever get to
actually really like it! Then again, that's what I said about The Shaggs :-)

The trip to the store was more than worthwhile though because I bought a
great album by the group West India Company called "Music From New Demons".
More about this in another post. I also bought a Pylon album and a 12" by
The Sugarcubes with 3 different versions of the song "Planet", just in time
for my "Around The Universe" show.

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
katefans@world.std.com

ll, just a few more here.

Victoria Williams                     "Happy Come Home"
Mary Coughlin                         "Tired & Emotional"
All of The Pogues but especially...um....oh...well...all of them
Genesis                               "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway"
Eno/Byrne                             "My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts"
Walendy Carlos                         Clockwork Orange soundtrack
Penguin Cafe Orchestra-all, but especially "Broadcasting From Home"
Anything by Ravi Shankar
Area                                   "The Perfect Dream"
XTC-I can't choose, they're all excellent in their own way
West India Company                     "New Demons"
Maria McKee                            "Maria McKee"
Christine Lavin                        "Beau Woes & Other Problems..."
Dave Stewart/Barbara Gaskin            "Up From The Dark"
All of k.d.lang but my favorite is     "Angel With A Lariat"
All of Camper Van Beethoven-Favorite is "Telephone Free Landslide Victory"
Laurie Anderson                         "Big Science"
Lene Lovich                             "New Toy EP"

I could go on & on (aren't you sorry you asked :-) and not even scratch the
surface. There's so much more I have yet to discover too.
The point is that there is SO MUCH GREAT music out there and I probably
haven't even heard a fraction of it. When people complain that there's no
good music to listen to I shake my head in sorrow. I honestly pity people
who don't know about, don't want to know about or can't "hear", good music.
Especially if their tastes are so narrow that they can't abide/be bothered
with anything but one particular style of music.
In every genre, in any era, there's good stuff to be discovered.

It's fun to find! (expensive, but fun!)

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
katefans@world.std.com