Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Various & Sundry Thanks & Things

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 90 18:30:34 -0400
Subject: Various & Sundry Thanks & Things

Vickie here. I wrote:

> Chris and I are moving to Chicago in late June so the show will be
> ending. The last show will air June 18, 1990.
                                      ^^
Oops, that should be June 16.

Greg writes:

> Vickie 'n' Chris, I hope the move goes well.  Personally, I love to
> read your song lists, and seeing as I can't listen to the radio show
> anyway, I wouldn't mind if you posted lists for imaginary shows during
> this (hopefully) temporary hiatus from broadcasting.

Thanks. Hey, I've got two years worth of shows, I could always post
past playlists :-) (I can hear some of you groaning!)

> Point is, barring obvious distortion, wierd EQ, etc., production and
> mastering values are as subject to personal opinion and debate as the
> music itself.

One of my audiophile friends thinks the English "Lionheart" is one of
the most beautifully recorded albums he's ever heard. This man has
Tymphani Magnipan (sp?) speakers and the kind of audio equipment that
requires constant "fiddling". His favorite people are Bach, Bruckner,
Legeti, Pendereki, Kate, Jane, Nina Hagen and Camper Van Beethoven!

Jeffrey Burka writes:

> I also have you and "Suspended in Gaffa" to thank for Jane Siberry.
> I kept hearing her name on .gaffa, but had never heard Jane.  Then I saw
> a video from BbtB on VH1 and thought "Oh.  Interesting."  Then I read
> one of your playslists on which you'd played something from "No Borders
> Here."  A few days later, I was in a record store exchanging some CDs I'd
> gotten for my birthday.  Since I wasn't paying for the discs I wanted
> something I might not ordinarily buy without hearing first.  I went to
> the Jane section and found 3 or 4 albums.  I recognized the name
> "No Borders Here" and on your 'suggestion', I picked that one.
> THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU

How cool! Wonderful! THANK *YOU*! YAY! Isn't that a great album? Of course,
all of Jane's are excellent, you just can't go wrong no matter which one
you get, but that's got some of my favorite Janesongs on it. Have you
listened to "Map Of The World Pt. 1" with headphones on yet? Do, oh yes!

Ken Brownfield writes:

>     I hope you find a new home for "Suspended in Gaffa".  If you don't,
> drop in down here in Champaign/Urbana.  There are a couple of stations
> that might like "Suspended in Gaffa".  It would definately be the best
> thing to hit a station here.  And I wanna hear your show!!!  :-)
>     Will you lose access to gaffa when you move?  :-(

To the last question, no. Our "site" is in Boston so we'll still be on the
net and our e-mail address will stay the same. We might at some point get on
Chinet, but that won't be for a while (besides, we don't want to give up a
cool address like "katefans@world.std.com) until after we're settled.
We'll still be part of gaffa, but we'll be scarce for a while, simply
because we have so much packing and situating to do.
Thanks for the compliments and I hope I do find a station that will see
the wisdom of adding my show to their schedule :-)
If you're serious about the stations in Cha/Urb possibly liking SIG, how
about I send you a tape that you could slip to the program director? I was
going to do that a long time ago with Michael Mendelson, but I was lazy
and never sent it. Now, with the show facing imminent death, I'm desperate
to not see it die. If you're game, let me know but it will probably have
to wait until we get to Chicago. Our dubbing deck went kaplouie and we're
waiting for insurance money to get another.

Thanks EVERYONE for all the nice things you've said and for helping me to
keep "chin up". You're all so great! Ah, Katefans, of course!

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
katefans@world.std.com