Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Mailbags, and bags, and bags...

From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 90 15:31 PDT
Subject: Mailbags, and bags, and bags...

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick (IED)

   IED apologizes for his long silence in the group. He was visiting _his_
"other half" in the Bay area (IED thus joins the many Love-Hounds who seem
compelled to announce their romantic attachments lately) for a week or so,
and was consequently out of touch. Many thanks to all those who maintained
the conneKTion in IED's absence, especially to those who provided
much-appreciated news and interview materials. Great work, folks!
IED found a total of 3900+ lines of L-Hs to plow through upon his
return. Your verbosity is prodigious--have you been taking after IED?
   Most welcome of all the postings, in IED's opinion, was Stephen
Thomas's in re the new Kate guest-vocal on the title track of Roy
Harper's new album _Once_. Stephen, could you or someone else please try
to describe the track, and explain whether Kate has a writing
credit on the song? Thanks in advance.
   Next, IED apologizes for the gross error in his last posting,
to the effect that Desmond Morris was the host of a programme called
_The_Desmond_Morris_Show_. The show was called _Friday_Night_Saturday_
_Morning_, as Vickie so swiftly reported. Thanks for the correction,
Vickie. IED doesn't know what he could have been thinking.
   Farewell to Meredith Tarr, and the best of luck to you
in Munich. IED hopes you can rejoin us eventually from Germany, Meredith.
   Temporary farewells to Chris'n'Vickie as they prepare to load up
their caravan of Kate goodies and head out Chicago way. IED hopes you
will waste no time in re-connecting to Love-Hounds when you have
settled into your new digs.
   And a great big welcome-back to MarK T. Ganzer, Kate Bush fan
eKsTraordinaire. Long time no read, MarK. Can you make it up to L.A.
for Katemastime (July 28/29) to attend the Bush Bash being tentatively
planned for that Saturday or Sunday at IED's place and Disneyland?
IED hopes so. IED will have a more formal announcement in Love-Hounds soon.
   Ken Brownfield asks for info re CD sound on UK and US editions
of _TSW_. IED has both, and believes there is an audibly fuller and
more detailed sound on the UK edition than on the US, though this
could be his imagination at work.
   Drukman writes:
 >...<Kate> should wake up and get some production values into her mixes.  I'm
 >beginning to agree with the guy who wrote that TSW turns your stereo
 >into a glazed donut.

   More properly, Drukman should wake up and listen a bit more carefully.
Kate's mixes are absolutely impeccable. The flaw, if there is any,
is either in: a.) your taste in sound; b.) your hardware; c.) your
inferior US pressing; or d.) your inability to appreciate the _kind_
of sound Kate _intentionally_ created with Kevin Killen for _TSW_.
The idea that only certain kinds of sound-mix characters
are "good" and all others "bad" is absurd. _TSW_ has a different
mix quality than her previous albums; not worse, just different.
IED knows that on _his_ CD player (the Sony CDP507ESD) _TSW_'s mix
is stunning from beginning to end--analogue or not.
   _The_Dreaming_, btw, _was_, at least partly, a digital recording/mix.
   John Bossom: too bad you had only the version of the _TSW_ poster
that included the orange lettering: an earlier version of the same
40x60" poster appeared in the UK (and at some stores in the U.S.)
without any writing at all. The composition could only have suffered
from the cropping.
   Graham: if you ever get the JJJ interview, could you please
transcribe it for the group? Thanks very much.

-- Andrew Marvick
   Non-KT P.S.: Paul mentions Lene Lovich and asks for more information.
Well, the main information to note at present is two-fold: first, virtually
her entire catalogue prior to _March_ has now been reissued on two superb
compilation CDs, called _Lene_Lovich:_The_Stiff_Years_. They are
_highly_ recommended. They comprise all three of her pre-_March_ LPs
(_Stateless_, _Flex_ and _No_Man's_Land_), plus the EP (_New_Toy_),
plus _all_ of her solo b-sides. <The only missing tracks are the original
UK mixes of the four or five tracks from _Stateless_ that were later
beefed up for the US release of that album; the "Slavic Dance" re-mix
of _Lucky_Number_; the live recording of four tracks which came out
on a four-track seven-inch EP in the UK as a follow-up _Flex_ single;
a few extended mixes of later songs like _It's_You_(_Only_You,_Mein_
Schmerz_) and _New_Toy_; and Lovich's duet(s) with Dolby and Hagen.
None of these could be called indispensible Lovich material, however.>
The two CDs are designed to be purchased together: _Flex_ is split up
(side one is on the first CD along with all of _Stateless_ and several
b-sides, and side two is on the second CD along with the EP, _No_Man's_Land_
and some other b-sides). The transfer to CD is more than satisfactory.
   The second important Lovich news: she is now on tour in the U.S.
Anyone interested should check their local listings and get a ticket
soon!
   Angelos: IED wishes you well at the Paradise for Lovich's concert
there. That is the same venue where IED was lucky enough to be invited
by Ms. Lovich to have a drink with her and Les Chappell in the bar before
the first of her concerts there in 1979. It was a terrific experience for
IED; Ms. L. seemed to be an extremely warm and intelligent soul (not to
mention an electrifying concert performer later that evening).