Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

women artists, etc.

From: DMatson%UMASS.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (The Reverend Dave)
Date: Thu, 31 May 90 19:15:29 EDT
Subject: women artists, etc.

Hi Vickie, et al.

My question is this, Vickie:
Have you ever considered playing music that might be considered,
shall we say, slightly more jarring than your normal fare, just to
mix things up? There are plenty of great all women bands out there
making a good deal of noise in varying degrees. Scrawl, Frightwig,
Lunachicks, and Babes in Toyland leap to mind, and I'm sure there
are a whole lot more. One of my personal favorite bands, Tragic
Mulatto is fronted by a woman. Pretty brilliant stuff, I think.

Of course, the obvious and answer is, you "don't want to", or
aren't at all interested in that type of music, which is of course
pefectly valid. Just suggesting that there is a whole lot more out
there than what you have on your often all too soothing playlist,
though I certainly like much of what you play that I am familiar
with. (ack, was that a sentence?)

anyway...
Here's another one for you:
have you ever considered playing a song written and performed
entirely by men, yet sung from the point of few of a woman?
I am thinking ofthe song "suggestion" by fugazi, that deals with
issues of the objectification, harrassment, and rape of women.
a very moving and powerful song. I can send you the lyrics from the
umass lyrics server thing if you are interested, though certainly
the lyrics alone don't do the song justice.

just a few things to think about..

  Dave "I like boyz with guitarz (and kate too, of course)" Matson

DMatson%UMass.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU