Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Lighten up, already!

From: Cynthia Loiselle <LOISELLE@cs.umass.EDU>
Date: Tue, 8 May 90 16:55 EST
Subject: Lighten up, already!

First, Meredith writes regarding one of Julian's posts....

> I was just wondering what possesses you to be like this.  Did |>oug designate
> you Love-Hounds' Official Grammarian, and I just missed it?  Did you designate
> yourself Love-Hounds' official Bitingly Sarcastic Poster?
>
> I've noticed that you only post when you can either correct understandable
> typos, or sneeringly reply to otherwise serious matters.  BTW, nobody *cares*
> whether or not you've been fixed!!!
>
> And if you're doing this all in fun, PLEASE use these things- :) or something,
> so we know you're kidding.  You're coming across as a real pain in the nether
> regions- if that's what you want, then you're succeeding admirably, but if you
> don't want that, then be obvious about it.

And then I read from bilbo (William) about his comments on TSW....

> Unfortuneately some people took major offence at it.  It was in no way
> written to start a flame-war-discussion, I was just giving my view on
> TSW.  <stuff deleted>  Well any way it seems that i've permenantly
> severed some relationships with this post.  This totally s*cks because it
> wasn't meant as the slam it was percieved as.

Sheesh, folks, lighten up!

So, OK, maybe some of you are under the gun with finals and not in the best
mood these days.  But do you really assume someone is being deliberately
mean just because the smilies are left out?  How about giving someone the
benefit of the doubt?  And biblo, of course I don't know what personal
mail you got, (and don't want to, thank you), but it bothers me to think
that there are love-hounds out there who would be nasty enough for you to
feel you have to make such a statement.

Good grief, how depressing.

Cindy  (loiselle@cs.umass.edu)