Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Don't forget the microphone!

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
Date: Mon, 7 May 90 04:52:56 -0400
Subject: Don't forget the microphone!

   Vickie posted:
>> The tour is a combination of skits, lots of changes of costumes, lots
>> of male dancers, making every song a "production number".
>> Within the article her choreographer says this: "...But the biggest thing
>> we tried to do is change the shape of concerts. Instead of just presenting
>> songs, we wanted to combine fashion, Broadway, rock and performance art."
>>
>> Does that sound familiar? Does the phrase "Tour Of Life" come to anyone's
>> mind. Do you think Madonna....? Naaaa, just a coincidence.

  and Eric france replied:
> Madonna is just a KT poser!    ;) ;) ;)

Chris here, Vickie forgot to mention Madonna's headset microphone. This
is one of Kate's most lasting contributions to the world of performance.
Honestly, to my knowledge, Kate invented it. No one had used one on stage
before the "Tour of Life", and the one used was custom built to Kate's
specifications. It's a tribute to the skill of the sound mixer on the tour
that every concert wasn't awash with squealing feedback, as the microphone
used was ommni-directional. (If you don't know what that means, ask a friend
with a P.A. if he/she would use one on stage.) In the "Nationwide" T.V.
documentary, Kate described it as, "...like a telephone operators..".
   OK, she may not have actually built it herself, but it was her concept,
and in the modern world of committees and "time to market teams" and other
such nonsense, that's about all the "invention" that anyone can do.

Chris (the _other_ one of Vickie'n'Chris)
katefans@world.std.com

P.S. Just a reminder to anyone just tuning in; She's a she and I'm a he;
     We met through a mutual intrest in Kate 8 years ago and have been
     inseperable ever since.