Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Categorizations/Meanings/Art

From: lee%pogo@cs.umass.edu (Peter Lee)
Date: 9 Apr 90 17:32:34 GMT
Subject: Re: Categorizations/Meanings/Art
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@dime.cs.umass.edu

In article <2727@milton.acs.washington.edu> donley@MILTON.U.WASHINGTON.EDU (not Peter Ebey) writes:

   From: donley@MILTON.U.WASHINGTON.EDU (not Peter Ebey)
   Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
   Date: 6 Apr 90 19:08:22 GMT

   In article <9004061815.AA01791@gaffa.MIT.EDU> gaffa!jsd (Jon Drukman) writes:
   >Second, the song is called "Myn and Wymmyn" and it makes fun of those
   The song is called "Men and Women" on the compilation... and is just one
   of those Andrew Ratshin imagry collisions.  The song making fun of the
   respelling is called "Woman With A Y", and to further confuse it, they
   called the album "Myn ynd Wymyn" (because they thought that ALL the vowels
   should be outlawed as they must have some connection with men.)

   >Their latest recording is a cassette-only thing called "Myn and
   >Wymmyn."  I think they are not broken up forever, but are taking time
   >off so that the dark haired woman can have her baby.  Or am I thinking
   >of The Bobs?

   The Bobs just recorded a new album and are still touring... Couldn't
   be them.  This might explain the "secret message" at the end of MyW,
   which says "We'll re-evaluate this position in a year or so."  Where
   did you get this info?

It's definitely Uncle Bonsai -- I saw one of their last 'pre-hiatus' shows:
Arnie was going to have a baby (probably has one by now!), so the band
decided to take a year off and then (hopefully) re-form afterwards.  The
cassette ('Myn Ynd Wymyn') was recorded especially to give fans access to
songs that the band had been playing live before the split that hadn't been
recorded yet...

--
|-                       Peter E. Lee, Staff Assistant                       -|
|   Software Development Lab at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst    |