Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

LAST CALL and market test for readers' tapes

From: Doug Alan <nessus@gaffa.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 90 19:47:22 EDT
Subject: LAST CALL and market test for readers' tapes

------- Forwarded Message

Article 13467 (7 more) in rec.music.synth:
From: paul@athena.mit.edu (Paul Boutin)
Sender: news@athena.mit.edu (News system)
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 90 15:59:40 GMT

This was to be my usual monthly repeat solicitation for cassette tapes
of readers' music for the compilation for public offering in June, but
due to an unexpected rush of submissions in the past two weeks, it is
instead a final warning for those of you who have been promising me
something since January.  The same applies to anyone else dawdling
over the record button.  You may be too late anyway, but it is in your
best interest to rush to the mailbox rather than trying to contact me
first.

Having said all that, I will offer an alternative:  It seems that by
June I could easily have enough material for a *two*-cassette release.
Of course this will nearly double the price, but it would prevent me
from having to disappoint a dozen or so people and their friends.
Apparently home multitrack units have proliferated along with fax
machines and network connections, so this larger format may be more
appropriate to 1990 than the 90-minute tapes which took so long to
assemble in 1986.

So, consider this the market test.  Bribe your local !path guru and
drop me a line to let me know:

        - would you want to buy a copy of the 1990 readers' music
                compilation cassette (price "under ten dollars")?
        - would you buy it if it were a double cassette set
                ("well under twenty dollars")?

The number of responses determines the number of copies I would have
to have made, which partly determines the provider and price of
copying.  Even in case of an overwhelming call for a one-cassette
restriction, release would still be scheduled for June due to
scheduling constraints.

I have already received overseas requests for the tape; I hope to hear
from you.

        "Ignorance of your freedom is your captivity" - Peart

Paul Boutin
Educational Initiatives
Project Athena
Massachusetts Institute of Technology