Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

An answer for Declan

From: JONES%RPIECS.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 90 08:17:40 EDT
Subject: An answer for Declan

Hello there Declan--
  Saw your posting regarding the song "Another Day", and couldn't resist
replying since it happens to be one of my all-time favorite things that
Kate's been involved with.  The song was originally Roy Harper's, but
Kate did an absolutely haunting duet with pal Pete Gabriel for Kate's
1980 (?) Christmas special, which was shown on BBC-TV.  I managed to pick
up a video of said Christmas special at a local record convention a while
back, and although the tape has been PAL converted and the quality leaves
something to be desired (to say the least), the quality IS still good
enough to see what's happening.  In the video, Gabriel and Kate are seated
at a small breakfast table, with a tea set scattered between them.  Both
are wearing jeans and plain blouses.  A screen in the background shows
a film of the two of them dressed much differently, both in black (Kate
in a long, slim black gown), and this film is almost like the thoughts
which are going through their minds at the moment.  (Sorry, it's all kind
of hard to explain, especially since I don't have the lyrics but would
REALLY like to).  But their duet is GORGEOUS...very sad...but judging by
the audience's response as the last note dies away, they obviously loved
it.  If you ever attend a record convention and see a tape labelled
Kate Bush Xmas Special or something to that effect, ask the vendor to
put in his VCR so you can catch a bit of it to check the quality.  If
the quality seems pretty good, and he's not asking more than $20-25 tops,
it might be worth your while.  This BBC Christmas special also shows our
dear Kate singing/performing such favorites as "December Will Be Magic
Again" (appropriate for Christmas, right?), "Ran Tan Waltz", "Egypt",
"The Wedding List", and a VERY neat version of "Violin", which opens the
show with Kate basically dressed in a bat's costume.  If you can find it,
a good time is promised for all!  Enjoy!

  I realize this is a very long-winded response to such a simple question,
but I always WAS one for chatting.  :)
                                            All the best,
                                                  Deb Wentorf