Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Confusion at the End of the World

From: PBMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.edu
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 90 00:48 EST
Subject: Confusion at the End of the World

       In a posting Sat Mar 24 14:45:35 GMT 1990,
jim%BILPIN.UUCP@mitvma.mit.edu replies to Doug Alan:

>    IN ARTICLE: <9003221946.AA06859@gaffa.MIT.EDU>,
>      nessus@MIT.EDU (Doug Alan) WRITES:
>
>>   [...]
>>   Furthermore, at least half of the serious contributors to Love-Hounds
>>   only receive the digest and do not have access to UseNet.
>>   Furthermore, it's the gatewaying between the mailing list and newsgroup
>>   that is the hardest thing to maintain, and if I was going to cancel
>>   one of them, it would be the newsgroup -- not the mailing list.
>>   [...]
>
>    So if we're not in that petite coterie, we are to be denied all of the
>    informative, educational, entertaining, and infuriating aspects of
>    r.m.g.? I rely entirely on the USENET for gaffa, and, as I print out all
>    the Kate related postings and mail them to Homeground each month, so do
>    they (that's why Love-Hounds now gets a credit in the news section of
>    each issue). I would appreciate it if we could be advised on what's
>    happening to the group as soon as the new arrangements are confirmed.

       As one of the 139 in the "petite coterie" who only see gaffa postings
via the Love-Hounds Digest on the INTERNET, I much appreciate Doug's concern
for us.  At the same time, jim%BILPIN.UUCP has a point too, especially if it
has been USENET that made possible the highly stimulating international
participation at gaffa.

       My problem is that I DON'T UNDERSTAND what a lot of this network
esoterica is about!  Assuming that I am not alone in this, maybe it would be
useful, as we all contemplate the End of the World this week, if one of our
technically more experienced regulars could explain a couple of mysteries:

       What and where is rec.music.gaffa?  Apparently it is only one of a whole
tree of "newsgroups", the stem here "rec" standing for recordings, "music" for
music, "gaffa" for where we live and move and have our being.  From the arcana
provoked this past week by Doug's announcement, I surmise that one can post to,
and read postings directly from, rec.music.gaffa via a thing called USENET.

       What is USENET?  Is it the same or other than UUNET?  What is UUNET?

       I ask on behalf of all us babes in the woods out here, still learning to
maneuver on INTERNET, outside the BITNET womb.  To confirm my ignorance, one
final query:  I have learned to FTP to an INTERNET server, login as user
anonymous, change directories and view them.  But what have I missed that I
cannot seem to SEND myself anything?  It seems that no matter what, if I enter
SEND filespec, for a file right in front of me in the directory, I get the
message "file not found."  Is there some added punctuation I need to use?

       Final note:  WARMEST THANKS AND ADMIRATION TO |>OUG ALAN as he and his
red chair move onward and upward!!

pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu  //  pmanches@sbccmail.BITNET   Peter Manchester