Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Request For Annotations To _Saxophone Song_

From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 90 12:56:25 EST
Subject: Request For Annotations To _Saxophone Song_

I am now collecting annotations to the song _Saxophone Song_ as it
appears on _The Kick Inside_.  You will find the lyrics to _Saxophone
Song_ as they appear in the American liner notes at the end of this
post.

Please send me everything you know about this song.  Start with any
background information and what the song is about, then go through
the song line by line and note any points of interest in the lyrics
including aspects of the song not noted in the lyrics, odd background
sounds, chants, etc.

Please quote the lyrics that your notes apply to and mention sources if
possible.  Note whether you're stating your opinion or something that
Kate has confirmed in an interview.  I'll try to present the ideas
that are submitted and note whether an opinion seems to be generally
accepted, popular or or at least possible.  I reserve the right to
leave out things that seem totally off the mark.

You can Email this to me at the address below if you want to be friendly
to net.bandwidth.  If you want the world to see your contribution
before I chop it up, digest it and blend it in with everyone else's you
can post it here.

Once submissions seem to have dried up I'll collect all this
information into some neat format and post it for comments.  That will
be your chance to point out what's wrong and what's missing.  Once
we've discussed it and it has been revised to a point that most people
are satisfied with it I'll post the final version and someone can place
it in the archives.

My goal is to provide a file that most Kate fans can turn to and say,
"This presents a complete and reasonable picture of what this song is
about."  In order to do this I need your feedback.

: Andy, I'm still looking for your copy of the lyrics...      :
: some of these don't sound quite right.  Seems like she says :
: "daba-daba-doo" rather than "doo-ba-doo-ba-doo" :-)         :

SAXOPHONE SONG

You'll find me in a Berlin bar
In a corner, brooding
You know that I go very quiet
When I am listening to you
There's something special indeed
In all the places where I've seen you shine, boy
There's something very real in how I feel, honey

(Chorus)
It's in me, it's in me - and you know it's for real
Tuning in your saxophone
Doo-ba-doo-ba-doo

The candle burning over your shoulder
Is throwing shadows on your saxophone
A surly lady in tremor
The stars that climb from her bowels
Those stars that make towers on vowels
You'll never know that you had all of me
You'll never see the poetry you stirred in me
Of all the stars I've seen that shine so brightly
I've never known or felt, inside myself, so rightly

(Chorus)

PERFORMERS

Drums: Barry de Souza
Bass: Bruce Lynch
Guitars: Paul Keogh, Alan Parker
Keyboards: Andrew Powell
Saxophone: Alan Skidmore
Electric Guitar: Paul Keogh

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          nrc@cbnews
                                          att!cbnews!nrc