Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

A Waste of Bandwidth (or "How woj Got Into KaTe")

From: woj <woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 90 11:40:30 EST
Subject: A Waste of Bandwidth (or "How woj Got Into KaTe")

Vickie says:
> I especially want to hear from:

> Hello Earth -- 2

Well, I'm one of 'em (whoever's the other, I'm interested in hearing about
you too). One day, in high school, I was riding the bus home and one of
the girls in the back started singing some song to herself. It was RUTH and
although I had never heard that song before (and she couldn't remember who
did sing it), somehow I *knew* that I had heard that song somewhere before.
Still, I didn't think anything of it until later that same afternoon.

It was one of those dreary, gray days and I was laying on the floor of
my room. It had only one window, facing west, so there was a weak light
in the room that only added to the weirdness atmosphere already in the air.
I was listening to WHRW, the local college station (which I might add is
an excellent station) and it was 1985. Need I say more? They played this
song and I was snared by it: choral voices droning in the background, a
deep, yet remarkably ranged, voice singing about the Earth. Although I missed
the first few bars of it, I recorded what I could on my cheap Emerson
compact stereo (and still have that recording somewhere) and listened to it
over and over again. Then I made the connection to RUTH, later that night
and the next day, I bought HoL. And played the cassette to death. The
writing on the shell is gone and the tape is mucked up on "Cloudbusting",
but I've still got it and listen to the original periodically (rather
than the recent CD copy that cuts out on "The Morning Fog" where the tape
runs out). I still look back at it kinda mystically actually...

woj