Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: hmm..sure sounds wrong to me

From: How Gren Is My Toupee <jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 90 10:31:21 -0500
Subject: Re: hmm..sure sounds wrong to me
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9003050924.AA23932@world.std.com> katefans@world.std.COM (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City) writes:
>Susan writes this about new vocal "Wuthering Heights":
>> Furthermore, the strident voice of the original recording seems much
>> more appropriate to the little virago that I've perceived Kate's
>> Cathy to be.

I think that whether or not people like the "new" vocal or the
"classic coke" vocal take depends on whether or not they've read the
book/seen the film or something.  Unfortunately, I've done neither,
thus for me the song is merely a piece of music, and I infinitely
prefer the new one because it is a vastly superior production job.
Those drums go BOOM!

People who know the story know that Cathy is a ghost at this point,
and thus they like that annoying banshee-screech little girl voice
that Kate used on the first version.

And, I find myself in the very strange position of agreeing with IED,
for once!

>IED responds:
>
>> Kate does _not_ sing a "wrong" note here! She has simply
>> embellished--very deliberately--the F-natural of the earlier
>> "Cath-" syllable so that it begins with a grace note of G-flat.
>> There is _no_ question that she did this deliberately. Not only
>> does it _sound_ good (_not_ "wrong"); but she has actually sung the

I don't know how well trained the people are who are listening to this
new version and hearing gaffes.  I'm not the world's greatest
musician, but I have a pretty good ear and it sounds fine to me.
Better than fine.  Perfect!  IT is in no way, shape or form a wrong
note.

>Sorry IED. Susan, I agree with you wholeheartedly!! It sounded "wrong"
>to me the first time I heard it and I winced. It still sounds wrong to
>me and I still wince. Even if it's *supposed* to be right, who can tell?
>IED can. Good for him. Even if it's *supposed* to be right, I still find
>that note embarrassing and it completely ruins the song for me, even
>though, up till then, I really like what she does with that version.

Well, Vickie, you're crazy!  Why wouldn't someone be able to tell
whether or not a sung note is "right"?  Are you saying there is no
objective standard for whether or not a note is appropriate?
Certainly in the pop form that Kate has chosen to work in, there is a
bit of right and wrong!  Maybe if Kate were just free-jazz scatting
all over the place then we'd allow her a bit more leeway, but she's
doing a pop tune.  There are right notes and wrong notes.  Nothing
wrong with the one she's hit in Wuthering Heights...

|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | ZIK ZAK - We make everything you need,  |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  | and you need everything we make.        |