Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

EMI stupid? naaaah, surely not!

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 90 04:27:06 EST
Subject: EMI stupid? naaaah, surely not!

  Chris here,

orion@wpi.wpi.edu (Kenneth G Descoteaux) asked about EMI (regarding EMI's
screw-up of the gender of the protaganist of "The Ninth Wave")

> Now how did they screw up the release like that?

  For EMI this is a minor "gaffe." Those of us who survived the "EMI-America"
years have seen far worse. In our "hallway full'o'Kate" is a pair of those
reproductions of album covers used for record store promotion called "flats."
The back of the flat for _Never_For_Ever_ has this;

                      KATE BUSH

                      features:
                   "NEVER FOR EVER"

  Remember that song? How moving is was? What ever happened to it?
Now this screw-up wasn't due to the album not being released yet - this
was in 1984, a quick look at an English copy could have caught the mistake,
or a phone call to any fan or record store that carried imports. This was
fairly typical of things at that time. Not to be to hard on EMI-America but
they have never given any impression they ever really understood her, or
ever even tried.

I posted:

and Greg Ward, Bell-Northern Research gregw@bnr.ca pointed out:

>Isn't that "Hey baby, hey baby, baby baby hey!"? One of my all time
>favourite lines from a movie.

  I stand corrected. But I haven't seen the film in years (sorry, it _is_
great but so little time, so many films). Not to harp, but what do you think
of Kate's use of the word "baby"? Jeez, I'm enough of an ego-maniac without
being deprived of the opinions of others.

                            Chris of
                              Chris'n'Vickie
                                of Kansas City
                                  katefans@world.std.com

P.S. Anyone who has had trouble getting mail to us, try routing through
     uunet. Our host machine, "world" in Boston, listed "uunet" when I
     used "uuname" to find our connections. Also our post-master caught
     a piece addressed to "kate-fans@world.std.com" and forwarded it to us.

Disclaimer: The gaffes, blunders, faux paux, screwups and other things in
            this posting may be pathetic but they _are_ mine.