Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: usenet@ames.arc.nasa.gov
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 90 19:58:29 PST

To: ames!rec-music-gaffa
From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: "Wuthering Heights"...Old and New (was Re: Rolling Stone)
Date: 2 Mar 90 03:58:29 GMT
Sender: usenet@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV

Actually, I like both versions.  They do sound different, but they
are each unmistakably Kate.  To me the new version sounds somewhat
"cleaner", but that's not necessarily better.

Interestingly, although I've heard the new version of "Wuthering Heights"
on the radio lots of times, I've never heard the old one.

As for whether the record company forced her to do this, I doubt it.
She has said in an interview that if she would have had the time, she
probably would have done the same thing to some of the other old tracks
on _The Whole Story_.  She said that the first version of WH sounded
"like a little girl singing."

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov