Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Egypt

From: Doug Alan <nessus@mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 90 17:22:03 EST
Subject: Egypt
Sender: nessus@GAFFA.MIT.EDU

> From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)

> Actually if we want to speculate about sexuality in Kate's songs I've
> always wondered about "Egypt".  Seems to me that the song makes just
> as much sense if you think of "Egypt" as a woman's name as well as a
> place.  The music and sounds of the song fit this idea as well.

> If anything the whole idea is a little too unsubtle to be what Kate
> had in mind.  Still, Kate doesn't seem the sort to write travelogues.

Kate has said that the song is about the contradiction between the
romantic, exotic image that people have of Egypt with the harsh
reality of a place where the people live in dire poverty.  The lyrics
represent the romantic image, while the music is scary to represent
the unfortunate truth.

|>oug

N is for NEIL too close to the lair