Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: gaffa and reviews

From: esl!!dbk@ames.arc.nasa.gov (David Kay)
Date: 25 Feb 90 23:23:16 GMT
Subject: Re: gaffa and reviews
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: esl!news@ames.arc.nasa.gov

In article <7757@eagle.wesleyan.edu> mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:

   Third, does anyone out there know for certain if KT speaks German?  This may be
   a hackneyed question, but I'm relatively new to the nets here.  I've noticed
   the German lines in "Coffee Homeground" (Es schmeckt WUNderbar!) and "Hello
   Earth" (which, as far as I've been able to decipher in the past two and a half
   years, are "Tiefer, Tiefer, wurde es (?!?) in den Tiefer, gibt es Euch nicht."
   Those lines translate, respectively, to "It tastes WONderful!" and, assuming
   I've heard correctly, "The depths, the depths- it would be (?!?) in the depths,
   it gives you nothing."

I don't know if this has been definitively settled in the past, but it sure
sounds to me as though she's saying, "Tiefer, Tiefer...gibt es ein Licht?"
Or something like deeper, deeper, is there a light?"  "gibt es Euch nicht"
might mean "there's nothing for you."  Of course, my German is pretty bad.

While we're on the subject, have you heard "Ein Deutsches Album" by Peter
Gabriel?  It's a German translation of the album with "Games without
Frontiers" (sung by Kate).  It's superb, especially _Through the Wire_
(_Durch den Draht_?).  Unfortunately, the lyric sheet only has the English
version.  Some of the bits scan differently, and some are downright obscene.

	David Kay
	dbk@esl.com