Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: Dave Armstrong <8548222@wwu.EDU>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 90 21:11 PST

March 1990,  DISCoveries

                        A KATE BUSH EPILOG

     Thank you for the elegant treatment of my Kate Bush feature.  I am certain
it could not have been presented any better.  The appearance of the layout
definitely enhanced the subject matter of the article.
     A couple of things apparently slipped through our mutual final proofing
and I have attempted to now set the record straight.
     I have recently come accross two very nice collectibles from
_The_Sensual_World_, Kate's current album.  The first is cassette versions of
the album, as well as a booklet containing the lyrics, a biography, and some
terrific photos.  The second is a Canadian picture CD (C2 93078) of the album,
although the picture is actually a close-up from the picture sleeve of
_The_Sensual_World_ single.
     Also, for those interested, the address of _Homeground_, the excellent
Kate Bush fanzine, is P.O. Box 176, Orpington, Kent U.K. BR5 3NA.
     As sometimes can happen, a couple of errors slipped into the works.  In
the _Lionheart_ section, a sentence in the next to last paragraph should have
read:  "In various polls of January 1979, she was named the No. 1 New Artist,
the No. 2 Female Artist, and the No. 2 Female Sex Object."  Only the latter
made it to print.  My intentions were to most definitely not to portray her
great accomplishments of 1978 as solely the result of her physical appearance.
As I hope I made clear, Kate is much more than just a pretty face.
    In the album discography, _Never_For_Ever_ should appear following
_Lionheart_.  Its catalog number and date of release are EMA 794 and 09/08/80
respectively.  Also, _The_Kick_Inside_ picture disc was released in September
1979.
     In the collectibles section, I referred to an Italian interview picture
disc.  At the time I wrote the article I thought it to be an authentic release,
as it carries an EMI logo and catalog number.  I have since learned that it may
be in fact an unauthorized release.  I am honestly not sure which it is.  If it
is an unauthorized disc, I apologize for any confusion.
     In addition, when discussing the Korean release of _The_Whole_Story_ I
mentioned the exclusion of three tracks which appear on the U.K. and U.S.
versions.  One of these, _Breathing_, was indeed on the album; it was actually
_The_Dreaming_ which was omitted.  The Korean Ministry of Culture and Infor-
mation (which "approved" the album) apparently felt the anti-government
sentiments expressed in the song, even though directed towards Australia, were
dangerous.  Why then did _Breathing_, essentially and anti-war song, make it?
A glance at the wonderous little Korean lyric insert accompanying the album may
reveal why.  Kate wrote and sang: "We've lost our chance, we're the first and
last, after the blast/Chips of Plutonium are twinkling in every lung."  The
lyric sheet reads as follows: "We've lost our charms, we're the first and last,
oh, oh, off to get lost/Shipshape and toney, oh that twinkling in every lung."
(You think something might have been lost in the translation?)
     Speaking of _The_Dreaming_, the authentic-sounding Australian music was
achieved in part by having an authentic Australian, Rolf Harris, play his
digeridu on the track.  I mention this because of the recent printing of the
lyrics to _Tie_Me_Kangaroo_Down,_Sport_ in the January issue.  The lyrics are
basically accurate, although I don't believe anyone would win a spelling bee if
"digeridu" was on the list.  Kate's liner notes spell it as above, the letter-
writer, Eric Schenider, however, prefers "diggerie doo," while the sheet music
of the songs likes "didgeridoo."  Also, it's abos [as already pointed out in
the Mailbox], not elbows in the lyrics.
     One final word:  I wish to again express my appreciation to DISCoveries
for the excellent treatment my story on Kate received.  Thank you to all
concerned.

                            William R. Creal
                            Reston, VA