Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

EM Survey 4 (Part 18 of 19)

From: datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu (David Datta)
Date: 21 Feb 90 07:00:39 GMT
Subject: EM Survey 4 (Part 18 of 19)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@uwm.edu

                Eclectic Music Survey #4 Results

Survey Posting                                      February 1990

Part 18 of 19 (Thru Velvet Underground)

The THE

     The 10 minute version of Uncertain Smile is an incredible work of art!
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com

     The The used to be Matt Johnson alone, working in the studio; now it's
     become a band. This music is effective for a lot of people, and it's
     probably only the name of the band that prevents them from reaching a
     larger audience. Matt Johnson writes great lyrics; he can state his
     views on politics, religion, or the state of his mind without sounding
     preachy or losing the effectiveness of the song. The band that he's now
     put together, including brilliant guitarist Johnny Marr, is a solid
     unit. Generally good stuff.
          - Anton C Shepps (Tony)
          rochester!moscom!telesci!ashepps%ll-xn.UUCP@cs.wisc.edu

They Might Be Giants

     I like "Don't Let's Start"
          - James Martin <martin@cpsc.UCalgary.CA>

     A quirky little pair of guys. When you hear their music, or see them
     live, you're never quite sure of whether they are a novelty act or
     serious musicians. On one hand, they often perform wearing four-foot
     fezzes. However, although their lyrics are always funny, they usually
     make some sort of statement, and the statements are sometimes quite
     intellectual and deep (once you've decoded them). One thing is certain:
     they're a lot of fun. To find out just how fun they are, you can call
     the band's dial-a-song at 718-387-6962. By the way, they got their start
     as roadies for the Replacements, a fact that only adds to the mystery of
     the pair. At the time of this writing, their major-label debut has just
     been released.
          - Anton C Shepps (Tony)
          rochester!moscom!telesci!ashepps%ll-xn.UUCP@cs.wisc.edu

     Fun in concert - see them before they get too big
          - Paul Mount prm@whutt.att.com

     Part of the great TMBG/Mojo/Milkmen goofpop triad. Lots and lots and
     lots of strange, catchy little songs. Boundless creativity, unreal!
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

     Reminds me of the Replacements and the Ramones mixed together. I admire
     the fact that they haven't become mainstream after achieving success,
     though they haven't been successful for that long.
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

     Satirical 90's band. The songs with happy themes have a sad melody and
     songs with serious or sad themes have happy tunes. These guys are fun
     (and funny) to listen to!
          - David Caldwell macs!dfc@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

     wiseguys with a sampler. really talented at writing strange catchy
     tunes.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

     Wiseguys with encyclopedic recall of rock styles. Obliquely funny lyrics
     that take several listenings.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

This Mortal Coil

     A bunch of artists from the 4AD record label getting together to play
     covers of obscure songs. Funny thing is, it works! First album ("It'll
     End in Tears") has some excellent songs, but not nearly as much 'flow'
     as the second ("Filigree and Shadow").
          - John Willmore jaw@esl.ESL.COM

Richard Thompson

     Brilliant, persistant guitarist and songwriter with a dedicated
     following who has soldiered on for 23 years in the face of deafening
     commercial disinterest. His best recorded work was with ex-wife Linda --
     "I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight" is a perfect album. Recently
     the major labels are trying to bend him to make him a commercial
     success, so the recordings from this period are erratic, but live
     performances are consistently killers, whether acoustic solo or with
     band.
          - Ken Josenhans 13020KRJ@MSU.BitNet

     Ex-Fairport guitarist. Hard to describe his style, but it's instantly
     recognizable any time you hear a Richard Thompson album. Recommended.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

3

     Definitive proof that ELP is indeed dead.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Three Johns

     three guys named john with fuzzboxes for their guitars and a drumm
     machine.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Three Times Dope

     philadelphia rappers. some nice smooth raps and use of samples.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Throwing Muses

     OK, I see how people might not like Kristen Hirsch's voice, but I do. I
     can even see how people might not like the music -- the so-called Boston
     Rock -- but I do. In fact, the Throwing Muses are one of my favorite
     bands. The music is raw guitar, bass, and drum, but it has melody and
     structure that so many bands just can't seem to find. Try "House
     Tornado" as a good introduction.
          - John Willmore jaw@esl.ESL.COM

Timbuk 3

     Serious and not serious at the same time. I think they disappeared from
     public view, but I liked "The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades"
     a lot, because it was humorous on one level, but said a lot on another
     level, without it being too obvious that it was trying to say something.
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

The Timelords

     see "The Jamms"
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

The Tom Tom Club

     Talking Heads offshoot that concentrates on rap/reggae fusion.
     Lightweight lyrics combine with eminantly danceable rhythms.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Tomita

     A good way to get introduced to classical music, and also I think Tomita
     takes synthesizers seriously and uses them to their capacities, rather
     than "synth bands" which just use them as a replacement for guitar.
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

     Great pioneer in the recording of synthesized adaptations of classical
     works. Alas, he often added too many cheesy sound effects to the albums,
     somewhat spoiling them. Still, _Pictures at an Exhibition_ and _The
     Planets_ are classic works.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     _Pictures at an Exhibition_ might annoy your classical music friends. On
     the other hand, they might like it.
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

Tone Loc

     L.A. rapper. Very good and promising.
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

     Not too bad, but I'd get sick of them quick.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     Rap artist. All his stuff sounds the same. _Exactly_ the same. His songs
     tell a story..not too bad I suppose. He's not fat.
          - Stephen K Mulrine
          smulrine%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Toto

     Never has a band so technically good gotten such bad publicity for their
     name. A great band, IMHO.
          - Tom Gryn TAG2@PSUVM.PSU.EDU

     The Great Satan.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     When "Africa" was in the charts (many moons ago), someone wrote to Smash
     Hits saying "I think Jeff Porcaro looks like a frog." They duly printed
     a picture of Jeff Porcaro subtitled "a frog" and a picture of a frog
     subtitled "Jeff Porcaro". "Middle of the road" perhaps? "Limp" even?
          - Stephen K Mulrine
          smulrine%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Pete Townshend

     He had some good songs after the Who.
          - Frank J. Schima francis@pawl.rpi.edu

     I Can See For Miles was the first single I bought.
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

     Lot's of interesting solo albums - ROUGH MIX (with Ronny Laine) being a
     "classic" album.
          - Neil Ottenstein OTTEN@UMCINCOM.BitNet

     The most passionate intellect in rock, which adds up to stellar
     compositions in which he flays his guitar alive.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Toyah

     Suffered a bad attack of Robert Fripp but Prostitue is almost as good as
     Sheep Farming in Barnet.

     Those were the days...when music was music and Toyah was in the top 10..
     "It's a Mystery" (from "4 from Toyah EP").."I Want to be Free"..she
     never reached those giddy heights again though. "Indie" music..seems
     dated now but she had a very distinctive voice (and lisp).
          - Stephen K Mulrine
          smulrine%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Toy Dolls

     a skinny white british chuck berry skids across the stage while the bass
     player and drummer actually keep up at 200 bpm.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Triumvirat

     I thought these guys were one of the underrated bands of the 70's.
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

     The infamous German ELP clone. Great if you like ELP.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK
Maureen Tucker

     the velvet undergrounds drummer. mostly covers.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Ted Turner

     Don't tell me that guy from Atlanta's branching out into music, too....
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     TBS is based across the street from us.Thought that the "Bill Tush Show"
     was too radical for his station at the time,though it featured Jan Hooks
     (Pee Wee's Big Adventure and Saturday Night Live),Bonnie and Terry
     Turner (writers for Saturday Night Live), as well as featuring musical
     guests such as The Vapors,The Brains, and Dobie Gray.I still dislike the
     man, if only for this.
          - Jon Kincaid dsrekjk@prism.gatech.edu

Ten City

     Good Chicago house music style
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

Test Dept

     doya like bagpipes? how about bagpipes and military drumming and british
     social issues screamed out over thick-layed samples and feedback.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Tina Turner

     Survivor who went from belting soul to slightly schmaltzy rock. She'll
     have great legs two years after she dies.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

TSOL

     Definitely a hardcore band, but is musical rather than atonal. The one
     song I like best ("Revenge", off of _Revenge_) is quite different from
     their usual style (less raw, stronger bass line I think).
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

Two Nice Girls

     Interesting lesbian trio who range from simple harmonies to stinging
     rock to country weepers. Beautiful voices.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Two Puertoricans, A Black Man and a Dominican

     We love their "Scandalous"
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

Bonnie Tyler
     She found her niche when she recorded with Jim Steinman. Her voice and
     style suit his wall-of-sound production technique.
          - Paul Maclauchlan moore!paul@uunet.UU.NET

Tyree Cooper

     (Acid) House artist - not bad..in the same class as Fast Eddie.
          - Stephen K Mulrine
          smulrine%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Very good remixer and house music maker.
          - Hussein Yahia hussein@bora.inria.fr

U2

     Hype of the eighties. I like their music, but I'm kind of tired of the
     media thing.
          - Valerie valerie@athena.mit.edu

     I like their music in general but I prefer the days of 'War'.
          - Frank J. Schima francis@pawl.rpi.edu

     Like their music, don't like the image the ban presents -- they seem to
     be a bit arrogant or at least egocentric, but then again, they do make
     good music so maybe they have a reason to be.
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

     Smug goody-goodies preaching the obvious. I can't fault their fervor,
     but I can't see for the life of my why anyone would pay to see them. I
     suspect they assuage the guilt of the Greed Decade.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

     Their earlier albums were the best, but they have never been bad. I
     don't listen to U2 as much as I used to, though.
          - Hans Huttel  hans%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Way-talented band that just hit the fucking *wall* with RATTLE AND HUM.
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

UB40 & Chrissy Hynde

     I love Chrissy Hynde, and this was a good song.
          - John Gateley gateley@m2.csc.ti.com

     Very cute cover of "I Got You Babe."
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Pere Ubu

     Disturbing sounds from the hotbed of Cleveland. Rage, wonder, and other
     strong emotions swirl amongst queasy synths and clanging guitars while
     David Thomas chokes out the lyrics.
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Ultra Vivid Scene

     Psych-pop done right. UVS has one album, with several "modern rock" hits
     and lots of other good material. Danceable, fun, pop-ish, and just plain
     good.
          - John Willmore jaw@esl.ESL.COM

Ultravox

     with john foxx, not midge ure. early incorporation of high-tech and
     rock.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

     "Vienna" was one of the best singles of the eighties. It was kept off
     the number 1 spot by a revolting novelty record.
          - Stephen K Mulrine
          smulrine%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Although this band was the British pioneer of electronic pop, they
     definitely aren't the usual synthpop band. They've covered many styles,
     from dirge-like ballads to guitar-based rock to electronic dance music.
     All of their work is effective. If only lead singer Midge Ure could
     write as effectively without the rest of the band!
          - Anton C Shepps (Tony)
          rochester!moscom!telesci!ashepps%ll-xn.UUCP@cs.wisc.edu

     One of the better synth-pop bands from Britain. My favorite album of
     theirs is still _Vienna_.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Ultravox had two distinct periods - the John Foxx and Midge Ure ones. My
     favourite material is their early Ure-era work, such as the albums
     'Vienna' and 'Rage In Eden'. It's a pity they split up.
          - Alan Crawford awrc%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Underworld

     Basically Freur under a new name and minus one (later two) member. Their
     first album 'Underneath The Radar' is really good, with one or two
     excellent tracks. I'm not as keen on their latest album 'Change The
     Weather' although it too has it's high spots. They've moved away from
     the technopop genre and become rather heavier. They still seem to have
     weird dress sense though.
          - Alan Crawford awrc%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Nee Freur, UNDERNEATH THE RADAR was almost Sputnik-Wannabe time in some
     ways but CHANGE THE WEATHER is a *great*, solid album. Who be dese gize?
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

Midge Ure

     Former guitarist(?) and lead singer for Ultravox. Three guesses as to
     what his solo album sounds like. Pretty interesting to hear Tull's
     "Living In The Past" done in the style of Ultravox; also, the
     instrumentals on Ure's first album _The Gift_ are particularly
     noteworthy.
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Vale Of Tears

     punk that doesnt know that sid is dead.
          - del Amitri del@ab.ecn.purdue.edu

Steve Vai

     One of the best guitar players ever, but very strange.
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

Van Halen

     Perhaps the best guitar playing of any well-known band in existence
     today, though not as much in the spotlight as they used to be.
     Technically, they might have improved, but their songs don't have the
     same feeling of uniqueness and personality that they used to. I like
     "Eruption" for the incredible guitar playing.
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

Van Morrison

     The Irish soul man. Responsible for a long string of albums of romantic,
     sensual, and spiritual questings. Also once an angry young man with
     Them, putting out "Gloria", "Here Comes the Night", and "Mystic Eyes".
          - sco!martyst@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Vangelis & Jon Anderson

     Anderson's voice and Vangelis' genius, what a great mix. The lyrics tend
     to be meaningless, though.
          - Christopher Waldemar Bochna cb2w+@andrew.cmu.edu

     Combine well as fans of both should appreciate the output. "Friends of
     Mr. Cairo" is their best.
          - Iain Smith & Jonathan Habrovitsky
          jhabrovi%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     The great synth playing of Vangelis combined with the singing voice that
     made Yes famous. How could it miss?
          - Richard Caley rjc%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     Their stuff together is great. Definitely Vangelis textures in the back,
     with Anderson's vocals on top. Two of my favorite artists together,
     they're fantastic!!!!! Recommendations: _Best Of_
          - Steven Seidman sseidman@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (The MIDIman)

Vangelis Papathanassiou

     An excellent musician. His music is more like classical music than
     anything else, except he doesn't use a full blown orchestra. Some of his
     albums are very strange and can't be classified ('Heaven and Hell').
          - Frank J. Schima francis@pawl.rpi.edu

     At the risk of a mailbox full of flames, I find the quality of his music
     to be very variable. Some of his albums are absolutely beautiful, while
     others are outright horrible.
          - Christopher Waldemar Bochna cb2w+@andrew.cmu.edu

     His records are very varied. Heaven & Hell and his late seventies albums
     are the best, however, he has returned to form with his latest album
     "Direct".
          - Iain Smith & Jonathan Habrovitsky
          jhabrovi%computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

     One of the most amazing electronic musicians. Not many can produce such
     amazing, and moving music as he. Many times he mixes synths along with
     acoustical instruments such as drums. His music has a feeling and sound
     that just really captivates me. Recommendations: _Spiral_, _Themes_
          - Steven Seidman sseidman@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (The MIDIman)

     One of the true great electronic instrumentalists of all time. Solidly
     written, moving work. I think the Bladerunner soundtrack is *probably*
     his masterpiece . . .
          - Lazlo Nibble lazlo@ariel.unm.edu

     Some of the best and worst stuff I own is filed under Vangelis.
          - Russ Levreault RLEVREAULT@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

     I only have OPERA SAVAUGE and THEMES, but the two of them have me look-
     ing for as many more of his CD's as I can find. He plays a wide range of
     styles of music and more instruments than I can name.
          - Chris Chavez ccmchris@pollux.ucdavis.edu

     Spiral (1977) is damn good, somewhat reminds me of 'Magnetic
     Fields'(1981) by JMJ. Alpha of the 'Albedo 0.39' is a classic, 'Chariots
     of Fire' is aaaaahm well, not bad actually, 'Themes' (1989) is for
     collectors 'Opera Sauvage' sounds interesting, 'Invisible Connections'
     just stinks it don't even help that it's rumored to be 'arty' - the kind
     of art I don't understand anyway, but then again a wise man said that
     "one shouldn't mock what one didn't understand...'Antarctica' contains
     two good tracks the first and the last 'Deliverance' but Vangelis in the
     long run sounds quite the same to me to be honest. If you don't listen
     to his 'The Dragon'(1971) were there is a 15 minut 'chant' on the first
     side. A sort of 'wow maaaaan - give me a new joint - thingy'.
          - Geir Stenstud geirs@ifi.uio.no

Velvet Underground

     It would be impossible to explain the style of this band; it ranges from
     silliness ("Sticking with You") to more heavy stuff. Progressive, for
     want of a better thing to call them.
          - Bill White bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu
--
-Dave 	datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu