Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate on SNL

From: K.Spagnolo@massey.ac.nz
Date: 22 Feb 90 03:24:02 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate on SNL
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <2022@cbnewsi.ATT.COM> ody@cbnewsi.ATT.COM (michael.r.ody) writes:
>My introduction to Kate was quite by chance many years ago. I was watching
>Saturday Night Live. It was perhaps '79 or '80. Don't remember the guest
>host. I only remember that Kate did two numbers, one of which was "The Man
>With The Child In His Eyes". I remember her on top of a grand piano. I fell
>immediately and hopelessly IN LOVE.
The other song was "Them Heavy People".  I think this occured in 1978.
I remember coming home early that particular night from my usual dazed
Saturday night outing, just because Eric Idle was to be guest host on
SNL.  I got in, and turned on the tube right when Kate startred her
first song.  Next thing I knew, there was a comercial on and I was
wondering why I hadn't taken my coat off yet.  She was mesmerizing!
I think it was those big eyes of hers.  I went out looking for a record
to buy and got _Lion Heart_, which was the wrong one for those two songs.
Unfortunately, I didn't really like it at the time, and didn't hear any of
her other music (this happened in the USA, of course) until I bought _The
Dreaming_ for my girlfriend in 1982.  After the first listen, I knew it had
to be one of the best LPs of the year, and remains my favorite of Kate's.
Sure would like to see the SNL show again though...

--
Ken Spagnolo - Systems Programmer, Postmaster, Usenet Administrator, etc.
   Computer Centre, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand