Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Comic Strip

From: nbc%INF.RL.AC.UK@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 14:50:32 BST
Subject: Comic Strip

The G.L.C. episode of the Comic Strip was shown last night on BBC 2 TV.
As mentioned in this forum by Vickie, it featured music by Kate. There
was not only the title theme "G.L.C." (that's Greater London Council in
case people are wondering) but also all the incidental music within
the programme. Kate was credited for original music score at the end.

The G.L.C. song was featured about two or three times in the programme,
though only for c. 30 seconds in ecah case. It is a very raucous, up beat
number with Kate at her bitchin' best! The lyrics were hard to decipher
behind the dialogue and sound effects, but the main refrain was "Ken is
the leader of the G.L.C." (ok not particularly riveting). At times Kate's
voice was almost screaming. As this song will be available soon on the
next single I will not embarass myself further by trying to describe it
in more detail.

There was an instrumental piece at the start of the show which reminded me
of Heads We're Dancing. At the end of the programme after the Ice Maiden
has been laid to rest there was a very quiet, lyrical section but
unfortunately again I could not make out the words. In one scene in a bar
we heard Running Up That Hill. There were other short sections of
incidental music some of which featured stings. In all, quite a varied
selection, totally inadequately described by me - but I was trying to
follow the dialogue as well (shame on me).

The scenario of the show was the story of Ken Livingstone's rise to
leadership of the G.L.C. and his struggle with Mrs Thatcher (the Ice Maiden)
with just a slight distortion of the truth in true Hollywood style.
Ken with the help of Joan Ruddock, Tony Benn and later Prince Charles
replaces Horace Cutler as leader of the G.L.C. by popular acclaim (Horace
beaten into third place by Screaming Lord Sutch). The Ice Maiden plots
his downfall and bans the G.L.C. leading to an armed battle between Ken
and his followers with the army. Prince Charles persuades the army to lay
down their arms only for the Ice Maiden to persoanlly join the attack.
Slain by a flagpole heaved by Ken, she is revealed to have been possessed
by an alien force.

Cast:
Ken Livingstone - Charles Bronson - Robbie Coltrane
Margaret Thatcher - Bridgette Nielson - Jennifer Saunders
Joan Ruddock - Cher - Dawn French
Tony Benn - Lee Van Clef - Peter Richardson
Prince Charles - - Adrian Edmondson

Be seeing you
	Neil
--
Neil Calton                            UUCP:   ..!mcvax!ukc!rlinf!nbc
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory,        NSFNET: