Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Re "Odd Meters": some notes on the weird meters of Kate Bush

From: mailrus!gatech!mit-eddie!eddie.mit.edu!henrik@uunet.UU.NET (Larry DeLuca)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 90 01:21:45 GMT
Subject: Re: Re "Odd Meters": some notes on the weird meters of Kate Bush
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

> JSD sez:

> Isn't _Sat In Your Lap_ written in more exotic meters?

Actually, it is written in the 3/4, 4/4, 2/4 in _Kate Bush Complete_, but
these are all transcriptions of things she admittedly wrote mostly
in her head w/o much reference to sheet music.

Her phrasing in the beginning strongly implies a six-counted six-eight,
with 2 4/4 followed by 2/4 "Some say that knowledge is...".  Musically,
that's what makes the most sense to me, anyway, and that's how I
transcribed it off the record.  I was shocked to see the sheet music.

Of course, I've been reading sheet music more years than our beloved
Miss Bush has been writing music, but all the same she's rich and
famous and I'm still playing Green Street Station ;-)...

					larry...

 "Oh, right!  You're the ones who do the, uh, performance art."

				- The Booking Agent at T. T.'s
(where we will probably play again in Mid-March!!!!)