Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Colooks and Comic Strip

From: nbc%INF.RL.AC.UK@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 90 18:48:00 BST
Subject: Colooks and Comic Strip

>From: tracyr@uunet.uu.net (june cleaver's dark side)
>Subject: what would it TaKe for KaTe to lose fans?
>I agree with the others, who thought a marriage by KaTe would
>probably have little effect on her number of male fans.
>Especially since she's been effectively married to Del for some time now.
>However, let me ask you this:  How many of you would be less
>taken with Kate's music if she were to gain, say, 30 pounds?
>As much as I hate to admit it, I suspect
>much of Kate's appeal for me is her good looks.

The fact that Kate is good looking really has no connection with her
music. I cannot believe there would be many of her fans who would
stop buying her records if she turned into a blimp, lost all her teeth
or decided to cohabit with a chimpanzee (BTW, anyone see that film in which
Charlotte Rampling did exactly that - what was its name??)

The only things that might stop me buying Kate's records would be
if she said stuff like:
   "I think Margaret Thatcher is a really caring human being"
or
   "I really wish I could have taken the Tour of Life to South Africa"

Ther are a number of female singers who are not attractive in the
conventional sense but still produce great stuff e.g.Alf, Mary Coughlan
and of course the greats like Ella Fitzgerald and Bessie Smith.
Many opera singers are large, to put it mildly, but they still have
great voices and it does not affect their sales.

>From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
>Subject: Belated News Flash! (for UK Love-Hounds)
>I just talked to Peter David Fitzgerald-Morris (professor of
>Kate Bushology and Homeground fellow) and he told me that Kate
>wrote a song for an episode of The Comic Strip.
>It's the title theme for an episode named "G.L.C" (I don't know
>if that's the song title as well) and he thinks she may have
>written more incidental music for the episode as well, though he's
>not sure about that. This song will be on the b-side of L&A when
>it's released in England in March. The episode is supposed to air
>this week or next. Check your TV Times. According to Peter, GLC
>is "a film starring Charles Bronson (but actually Robbie Coltrane)
>as fearless Ken Livingston out to save London from the evil Ice Maiden
>(alias Margaret Thatcher)."  Ok, so it's a bit obscure to non-British.

Fantastic news. Thanks Vickie for passing on this essential information.
The Comic Strip did a similar programme last year on Channel 4. It was
called Strike and featured Al Pacino (really Peter Richardson) as
Arthur Scargill and Meryl Streep (Jennifer Saunders) as Mrs Scargill.
It was how Hollywood took over a polical script and turned it into
a typical blood and guts epic which bore no relationship to reality.
It was really spot on. This new one sounds similar. I have seen a short
trailer for it. BTW, that is Ken Livingstone actually.

>Also very, very neat: in a few weeks Kate herself will appear in an
>episode of The Comic Strip called "Les Dogs." Peter described it
>as a "Fellini-esque film about a self-obsessed man who had a car crash,
>wandered into a wedding reception and falls in love with the bride. As
>far as we understand, Kate is actually the bride"

This gets better and better. Most people will know that the connection
is Peter Richardson who directed the video for This Woman's Work
and who directs, writes and acts in the Comic Strip.

>So Neil & all you other British lovehounds, be sure to tell us how it
>all goes.

Just try and stop us.

>From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
>Subject: non-Kate items

>>> MARY COUGHLIN-
>> Well if I tell you that a third album should be out about March time
>> will that make you feel better or worse?
>Worse! She has no business releasing albums unless she sends me a copy
>personally signed :-) After all, I *may be* the only radio programmer in the
>entire United States who plays her. Regularly.

You may well be the only radio programmer in the entire world who plays
her regularly. She certainly does not get much UK airtime.
--
Neil Calton                            UUCP:   ..!mcvax!ukc!rlinf!nbc
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory,        NSFNET: