Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Sharon's bootlegs

From: PBMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.edu
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 90 01:03 EST
Subject: Sharon's bootlegs

Sharon Lynne Fisher (well!slf@lll-crg.llnl.gov) writes: (15 Jan 90 23:34:50 GMT)

>I bought two Peter Gabriel bootlegs yesterday, Intruder and Without
>Frontiers, and was surprised to see (hear?) that Kate was present on two
>of the songs from Without Frontiers:  Angel Gabriel and Just Another Day.

My very strong suspicion is that those two tunes come from the December 1979
"Kate" special on British TV, which circulates as a kind of sub-bootleg video.
The "Angel Gabriel" is a short a capella introduction to Peter Gabriel's solo
performance of "Here Comes the Flood" on that show, and then later in the show
Peter and Kate do the Roy Harper song "Another Day" in a kind of concept video
interpretation, where the separation scene is played out as a kind of
fantasy/reverie for the two sitting empty and detached at a small table
together.  Love-Hounds who like Cocteau Twins should check out Elizabeth
Frazer's version of the same song on the various-artists' collaboration disk,
"This Mortal Coil" (Beggar's Banquet Music CAD 411 CD, no date--anybody know?).

>Happily, these two songs had the best technical quality of any on the album,
>although unhappily they were both clipped a bit at the beginning and the
>end, and I didn't think that they were such great songs in the first place.
>(Kate's voice is so high that she sounds like she's on helium.)

As to Kate's voice, this was 1979, the year of "O England, My Lionheart" and the
Tour of Life.  It wasn't helium; it was pure chops.

If the technical quality on Sharon's bootlegs seems comparatively good, however,
then either that is exciting (because my tape of the "Kate" show is lamentable
audio), or it is a bad sign (because if her sound is the same as mine, then the
REST of her Gabriel bootleg is dismal indeed).

I do agree that neither of these pieces "were such great songs in the first
place," and kb completists should probably hold out for the video of the "Kate"
show--UNLESS a good audio track for the two singings has become available now
for the first time.

A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O

       pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu     >
         pmanchester@sbccmail.bitnet    <     "C'MON, WE ALL SING"
                    Peter Manchester     >      --Not This Time