Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tangerine Dream

From: butterworth@mscf.med.upenn.edu
Date: 22 Jan 90 16:46:50 GMT
Subject: Re: Tangerine Dream
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <1544@cs.rit.edu>, iav1917@ritcv.UUCP (alan i. vymetalik) writes:

>    Hi Daniel and other Tangerine Dream fans hanging out in this newgroup:
>
>    Another person to check with on Tangerine Dream is myself, the self-
>    proclaimed "Usenet TD Evangelist" (pretty heavy, hmm?).  Another news-
>    group to check is rec.music.newage.  There are a number of articles
>    and message threads floating around there on one of the most prolific
>    bands of the last twenty years (one TD collector has a listed collection
>    of over 850 albums, soundtracks, singles, bootlegs, videos, and other
>    items from the band and all of its alumni).  Prolific, maybe, but their
>    music is fantastic.  I have most of TDs albums (and everything that's
>    available on CD - over 35 CDs), many alumni albums, and several bootlegs
>    (but I dont' think I'll ever hit the 800 mark, however...)
>
>    So, Daniel, why haven't we communicated before?  I was somewhat to see
>    TD talked about in this newsgroup.  Well, more power to communication!

Well, guys ... count me in!  I too have nearly 50 recordings to date (40 LPs,
5 12" singles and 2 CDs, solo offerings not included) so I guess that also
makes me a true TD afficiando.  I'm happy to see there are others like myself
out there (I figured there was) and so, in an attempt to start the ball rolling
of sorts, below is a copy of a response I sent to someone a while back who had
just stumbled upon "Lily on the Beach" and wanted to know what else there was
to recommend, if anything, by this prolific and certainly influential group
(and I apologize to that person for blindly regurgitating this).  Your comments
are more than welcome.  (BTW, I would also be interested in seeing that listed
collection of some 850 albums.  And I thought I had a lot!)

The first Tangerine Dream lp I bought was "Force Majeure" back in 1979; it was
in fact their 12th album.  But it was a good one to start out with because it
was, in its own way, a breakthrough album - very different from those that
preceeded it.  Up until that point, virtually all their work could be described
as electronic tone poems - atmospheric, atonal experiments in sound, quite
revolutionary then but somewhat boring by today's standards.  But "Force
Majeure" introduced some new elements, including rhythms and an upbeat,
"uptempo" style (best exemplified by the classic cut "Cloudburst Flight") which
has increased with each successive album.  Add to their repetoire a bunch of
soundtracks and some fine live recordings and you have a band which "remains
deceptively complex behind their synth-gloss exterior."

If you like "Optical Race," you might want to check out their previous three
studio albums -- "Tyger" (1987), "Underwater Sunlight" (1986) and "Le Parc"
(1985), just to get an idea of where they're coming from.  "Tyger" contains a
lot of trite female vocals but the music is good.  "Le Parc" has its moments,
but is not one of their better offerings in recent years.  You're better off
with "Underwater Sunlight," which contains the majestic "Song for the Whale"
and what I consider to be the quintessential Tangerine Dream cut - "Dolphin
Dance" - simple yet brilliant!

Personally I find their live albums to be among their best; the band rarely
tours without releasing an accompanying album of previously unheard (i.e.
unrecorded) music.  (The audience at these concerts is pretty amazing too,
ranging from tie-dyed hippies to grandparents!)  Highly recommended are
"Livemiles" (1988) and "Pergamon" (1986), but even their second live album
"Encore" (1977) has a lot going for it, including the wonderful "Cherokee
Lane."  "Tangram" (1980, the band's follow-up to "Force Majeure") has the
"look and feel" of a live album too (though it is decidedly studio-bound),
and remains one of my favorites.

shy away from their "early" period, 1974-76.  Some strong albums from their
"middle" period (1977-1982) include "Exit," "Thief" (soundtrack) and "White
Eagle."  Since then, I'd recommend you lend an ear to the double live "Poland"
album, as well as the soundtracks for "Wavelength" and "Heartbreakers."

I hope this has been semi-useful.  I know I haven't gotten down to the
nitty-gritty and described the music itself but one listen to, say, "Kiew
Mission" (from "Exit") or "Mojave Plan" (from "White Eagle") should speak
mountains for me.

			      David N. Butterworth
   			   UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA
			Office of Information Technology
			 1R N.E.B. -- 420 Service Drive
			  Philadelphia, PA  19104-6020

Internet: butterworth@a1.mscf.upenn.edu         "Which shoes are those?" -- f.f.
   "Some girls' mothers are bigger than other girls' mothers..." -- Morrissey